Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Congrats on the mulberry fruit appps; very exciting.

I get such a kick when something I have tended and loved thrives and bears fruit etc.

Speaking of which .. as we were talking avocados, I went and had a closer look at my two guys, checking out their pot size; chatting to hubby if I should risk repotting them ... OMG! OMG! OMG! Look what I spotted .. are these flowers?

Looks like they might be! Hers got sprays of flowers like this

The whole tree was covered in them and then it started loosing all its leaves and all the flower trusses dropped off too. Not sure if it was too many flowers stressing it or the rain or the move, probably all three. I think I read at the time it takes 18 months from flower to fruit though. Will have to regoogle that

Better go have a closer look at hers!

Last edited:
Do not laugh but I am happy dancing! lol

I had a Google and yep, they are flowers! I could not find a lot of information on the actual time from flower to fruit but may be a couple of months?

Yeah, Arnie is definitely not flowering big time like yours or those I have Googled but it is exciting that we have some flowers at least. I do not hold out much hope of seeing an actual avocado this time around but may be next time.

I am going to delay the possible repotting for a while I think; now might not be the best time.

Do not laugh but I am happy dancing! lol

I had a Google and yep, they are flowers!  I could not find a lot of information on the actual time from flower to fruit but may be a couple of months?

Yeah, Arnie is definitely not flowering big time like yours or those I have Googled but it is exciting that we have some flowers at least.  I do not hold out much hope of seeing an actual avocado this time around but may be next time.

I am going to delay the possible repotting for a while I think; now might not be the best time.

Yeah I wouldn't stress it at the moment. It looks like it's the guacamolen avocado takes 18 months. No idea what the ones we would be buying and eating are though
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/long-avocado-mature-bloom-harvest-43391.html

My sisters seems to have little buds at each leaf axial but not sure if they are what becomes the Flowers or if they are branch of leaf buds. Time will tell I guess. We would be a bit colder here than you so hopefully when spring hits properly we will see
1f60b.png

Last edited:
My two are just Hass avocados that I purchased and ate.  However, research indicates that if you grow a Hass it will not actually produce Hass but a mix of Hass and something else .. no idea what that means! lol

Hmm I wonder if it's a bit like heirloom seeds and hybrids. The hybrid you can't seed save because the seeds revert back to something else. I'm not sure if mine is a hass or a shepherd and we've no idea about my sisters. Hopefully it's edible though! Lol

Last edited:
My two are just Hass avocados that I purchased and ate.  However, research indicates that if you grow a Hass it will not actually produce Hass but a mix of Hass and something else .. no idea what that means! lol

Hate to be the bearer of bad news
1f602.png

Guatemalan Variety Avocados (includes Hass, Pinkerton, Reed and Gwen)

Good morning folks :frow Got a little bit of catching up to do ;) appps we basically have Foxtel for one reason, the Footy Channel! We also do not watch a great deal of television and listen to the radio most of the day. But it is nice to flop into the recliner at the end of the day and watch TV for an hour or so before bed. If there is nothing else, we can always rely on an NCIS episode .. no such thing as too much Leroy Jethro Gibbs! ;) Fizzybelle how is Agnes’ eye? Aaaah, the joys of having broodies [not! lol]. Cilla has laid 5 eggs since the return to laying, 5 more to go and I will probably have a broody also ;) kat79 sorry to read about your egg dilemma. Anniebee many thanks for the additional info on Chucky. He continues to visit daily. Hey MullyAly sorry, I am not able to answer your question. Not much news of note. A friend on Facebook posted a link to ‘How to grow avocados from seed in pots’ which got me to thinking I should take an updated picture of my two; Arnie and Danny [yep, even the trees have names here! lol] Baby Arnie Baby Danny Arnie on the left is 4 years old this month and Danny on the right is 3 years and 3 months. Danny looks a bit droopy because today is watering day. I do not hold out much hope of getting fruit from them but I still love them ;)
If I remember correctly if grown from seed, you won't get fruit for 7 years - but you should get some.

Back
Top Bottom