Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi Annie, there is a procedure called ' caponizing ' . Not something for the light hearted .
1f642.png

Gosh Fancy .... I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

My grandmother used to serve 'capons' .... ( I was a kid, and didn't have a clue what it meant ). Just that they were delicious meat chickens - and that was it - for Sunday dinner..

Have googled ( of course !! ) .... and it can be done chemically. .... I could imagine a magnificent Welsummer cockerel, not wanted to cover hens or not having hens around, might be considered for chemical castration - as long as it wouldn't physically hurt the bird. ( Estrogen implants are used I believe - probably very expensive ). Their combs and wattles become smaller, they retain their plumage ... and are far more docile.

Can't actually envisage more than a tiny % of people wanting to do it ( although I would consider it !!
lau.gif
-- being a bit of a nut about beautiful pets ). However, that is not a problem for me - nor is it ever likely to be.

I have PM'd you about another matter ... hope you get to see the private message.

Thanks heaps - - -

Cheers .......

stjurner79   -  - -  I always read with fascination - the efforts put into incubation of fertile eggs.   The turnings (?) ... the lock-down.   And the great anticipation as to what will emerge - and when. 

So wish I could join in this endeavour, but have absolutely no room whatsoever to raise young chicks, or accommodate them later.   ... As for how many roos' one might get - that would have me sleepless at night.  

Which brings me to ask - can roos' be castrated in some way - chemically or otherwise ? ..... If one wanted beautiful pets only - ( the roos I presume would keep their unique plumage ) - they would cost no more - and probably way less, than keeping dogs and cats as pets.   And they would be more docile, therefore trainable as cuddly pets ? 

Anyone with any ideas on that ?   ..... Just askin'  ( for the moment ). 

Cheers .......... 

They certainly can, but it's not easy to do the physical version first 100 or so times. Most vets won't. I'm sure it would also be possible chemically.

There are people who have trained fully functional roosters and hens as cuddly indoor pets. Look up "chicken nappy" pictures and stories for more information. Some have also succeeded in training them to use litter trays like a cat.

They certainly can, but it's not easy to do the physical version first 100 or so times. Most vets won't. I'm sure it would also be possible chemically.

There are people who have trained fully functional roosters and hens as cuddly indoor pets. Look up "chicken nappy" pictures and stories for more information. Some have also succeeded in training them to use litter trays like a cat.

I find the hardest part of incubation is leaving them alone when they need it. This one was slightly easier as I have the incubator in a thermostable room outside and the next lot will be better because I'll still have month old babies around.

Hubby and I have been talking about getting some fertilised Faverolles eggs to put under a broody chicken.

He knows how much I want those chickens! If we ended up with all roosters and we couldn't home them they would become dinner - so now I just need to figure out if I could bring myself to process and eat a chicken id raised

Hi cheep82
welcome-byc.gif
Our first chicks were a school project too, 26 years ago. Out of 6 eggs we got 2 hens. Gotta love it.

Anniebee I’m sorry to hear Mindy had another soft shells. I do hope she gets broody soon.
Thanks for your kind words. I have heard that chickens combs go pale when they are in pain or sick is this true.

Sjturner79 congrats on the new additions. Very cute I can’t wait for more photos. Now we have so many girls I won’t be able to hatch anymore, so I will have to enjoy everyone else’s new babies.

Teila it is so nice that our native birds can be comfortable and feel safe in our backyards. At least they know that can take refuge when they need to.
Would the caponizing stop them from crowing so much? Paul got out of bed at 5.15am yesterday and caught our little bantam roo because he had been crowing since 4.30; he put him in pet cage and covered him up. We gave him to a friend who doesn’t have neighbors to complain. I think we still might have another roo, but its not crowing yet.

Anniebee, you wanting to get a roo? I really would love one actually (a bantam roo) but living in suburbia, tis not allowed, though I wonder if you can get away with it if they wore a collar. I know there's some issues with the collars, so at the moment I'm just curious and wanting to learn more.

sjturner, lovely little ones you have there!

Well, my lot are ok for now. We had some more heartbreak this week, our cat just before her evening curfew was hit by a car and passed away. Never had that happen before, so it's a shock. The lady responsible was actually very kind, brought us flowers and we're grateful she went looking for us to tell us, and didn't leave her there. She was very distrought too. I know there's the whole indoor/outdoor debate with cats, we let ours out during the day and by afternoon she's inside. If future, we may have to change that should we get another, so yeah, I know. This, plus Agnes, Dad having cancer surgery (which was 100% successful), all within a month, yeah life's been fun lately.

Anniebee, you wanting to get a roo? I really would love one actually (a bantam roo) but living in suburbia, tis not allowed, though I wonder if you can get away with it if they wore a collar. I know there's some issues with the collars, so at the moment I'm just curious and wanting to learn more.

sjturner, lovely little ones you have there!

Well, my lot are ok for now. We had some more heartbreak this week, our cat just before her evening curfew was hit by a car and passed away. Never had that happen before, so it's a shock. The lady responsible was actually very kind, brought us flowers and we're grateful she went looking for us to tell us, and didn't leave her there. She was very distrought too. I know there's the whole indoor/outdoor debate with cats, we let ours out during the day and by afternoon she's inside. If future, we may have to change that should we get another, so yeah, I know. This, plus Agnes, Dad having cancer surgery (which was 100% successful), all within a month, yeah life's been fun lately.

Oh so sorry to hear about your cat, I lost mine the same way years ago and it was heart breaking.
Glad to hear that your dad is coming through his cancer ' fighting the good fight '.
1f60a.png

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Worked on site yesterday and have to go in Friday afternoon for the Rewards & Recognition thingy.

Aaaaw congratulations sjturner79 your bubs are adorable!

Anniebee yep, Chucky is still singing up a storm; when I am working, even though I can not see him, I can hear him.

Congratulations on your 4 Years with BYC
clap.gif
the badge looks good on you
wink.png

Fizzybelle I am so very sorry to hear about your kitty
sad.png
but great news about your Dad
clap.gif

Yes, the indoor/outdoor debate about cats can be a sensitive one and as a practicing indoor cat owner with an outdoor run, I have been the target of comments along the lines of how cruel that is and how they should be allowed to be natural and do cat things.

Just my thoughts, but my cats have a pretty good life and are spoiled rotten. According to the RSPCA and other studies, the average life span of outdoor cats is 3 years and indoor was around 15 I think [don’t quote me on that
wink.png
].

Not only are my fur babies protected from other cats, dogs, cane toads, cars etc, the wildlife [which I adore] is protected from the cats. Granted, some insects and lizards which wander into their run or the house are fair game, but the majority of the wildlife, especially birds, are safe. They have three cat trees in the house and cat toys everywhere.

Also, they are both lead-trained so not only do they still get to go outside every day in their run, which has lots of good places to snooze and watch the world go by, but they also get to explore other areas of the garden:

It is sometimes a bit tricky to catch and relocate the geckos which have managed to get inside before the cats get them
wink.png

I have shared this story before but as I am not sure if you were a member then ..... Even as an indoor cat, I nearly lost Chimee to a car. Syba and Chimee do not try and bolt out the door but this one particular evening she bolted out the front door when I opened it because across the roads cat was sitting under our car, she chased him up our driveway, across the road and into his driveway, where she then realised where she was, freaked out and came running back across the road to me but right in front of a car! Luckily the driver saw her and a frantic me and managed to avoid her but I was a mess! We found her under next door's rainwater tank and to this day I still have nightmares about nearly seeing my baby girl run over and tear up. If she had of been hit, I swear I would have walked across the road and punched the neighbour!

Please do not think I am saying that keeping them indoors is the right thing to do, it is just something I have decided is best for my fur babies and I am just trying to show that I think that cats kept indoors can have just as much fun as those that are not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom