Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Don't know if you can see it, but hatch day by the looks.
I can see a little ball of fluff. Yay

Teila Love the photos keep em coming. Your girls look very relaxed in the shade there.

I didn't even know to watch for strangulation when my silkies hatched my araucanas. I will worry next time though.

manualname Hi
welcome-byc.gif
Its very annoying when you have so many broodies. I seem to always have about 3 sometimes more out of 20 broody at all times. Every time 1 stops another starts.
he.gif

I've posted this in the main thread, but I think a lot of people on this site are from America so I thought I'd see if I can find some help here.

I have a hen who's eggs weren't due to hatch until the Wednesday/Thursday that's just past (she started sitting 19 January). Instead the eggs have been hatching, 1 or two a day since last Saturday (4 Feb) with the last one hatching on Tuesday (7 Feb). However she was still sitting on more eggs and being that I wasn't expecting them to hatch until the Thursday or so, I left them under her. Yesterday I candled them and found movement in 2 eggs. Today one has pipped and is chirping away from inside the egg.
My question is, will this little one be okay with the others? A few will be a whole week older than it. And my Mumma hen doesn't really sit anymore as she's two busy scratching around with the other chicks. I do have another hen who's chicks hatched (on time, all pretty much at once) on Thursday. Or should I just keep it seperate at the moment?

Just wanted to update everyone on my little one... I ended up leaving the egg with the Mumma of the younger chicks and she accepted it fine. The wee bubba, who we've currently named Squirt, had hatched by Monday morning. We kept a very close eye on her during the first day, sometimes removing her when her new Mumma was scratching around a bit crazily. Day 6 today and Squirt has fit in with the rest of the crew and doing really well =)

Dusty & Crystal:

Dusty:

Blondie:

Cilla & Crystal:

Dusty, Crystal & Blondie:

LuLu demonstrating our new 'anti-crow' outdoor feeder .. try dragging that away you little black @#$%'s
wink.png

Beautiful girls its look like you have plenty of shade there. I love the crow proof bowl. Cheeky things.

sjturner I love your little chicks is mum a frizzle.

angela27 your babies look gorgeous.

I am really envious. I put 5 eggs under Lucky and 4 got taken (Teila's crows @#$%) and the last one didn't hatch. I candled it and there was a chicken in it. But we had a cold front come through and Lucky was of the nest a bit, which wouldn't normally matter with the heat we'd been getting. After 26 days and I couldn't hear anything when I tapped on it I decided to take the egg away.
I've now got a bantam australorp and a cochin that are broody and I don't know whether to put eggs under them now. I might wait and see what the weather does. It's so unpredictable especially for the weather bureau.

I can see a little ball of fluff. Yay

Teila Love the photos keep em coming. Your girls look very relaxed in the shade there.

I didn't even know to watch for strangulation when my silkies hatched my araucanas. I will worry next time though.

manualname Hi :welcome   Its very annoying when you have so many broodies. I seem to always have about 3 sometimes more out of 20 broody at all times. Every time 1 stops another starts. :he  

I only have 7 hens, but rarely more than 4 layers because they are to busy raising babies.
I still don't have a sizzle or frilkies looking chicken and they can keep hatching until I get there

Beautiful  girls its look like you have plenty of shade there. I love the crow proof bowl. Cheeky things.

sjturner  I love your little chicks is mum a frizzle.

angela27 your babies look gorgeous.

I am really envious.  I put 5 eggs under Lucky and 4 got taken (Teila's crows @#$%) and the last one didn't hatch.  I candled it and there was a chicken in it. But we had a cold front come through and Lucky was of the nest a bit, which wouldn't normally matter with the heat we'd been getting.  After 26 days and I couldn't hear anything when I tapped on it I decided to take the egg away.
I've now got a bantam australorp and a cochin that are broody and I don't know whether  to put eggs under them now. I might wait and see what the weather does. It's so unpredictable especially for the weather bureau.
Yes the hidden mum is one of my 2 silkie X frizzles.

Back
Top Bottom