Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Duck Manor,
Our birds seem to grow so quickly, don't they!
No ducks here, only chooks.

6 babies hatched late last week :jumpy and 19 eggs in the incubator due to hatch in 2 weeks. I've candled them and to my novice eye I think only 5 of them are duds. :fl
I added another dozen eggs today. Fortunately I've got two incubators at the moment. They're all in the one with the automatic egg turner at the moment and I'll use the old LFE incubator as a hatcher, transferring eggs to it at lockdown. I've marked all the eggs but maybe I better put reminders on the calendar.

Oooh she does! And I love her name, very cute. What kind of personality is Lettie? I call Beatrice 'Queen Bea' sometimes as she carries on a lot, but she has a sweet sookie side that is heartmeltingly adorable. She loves to be carried and cuddled. Oh where did you get Lettie btw, I notice your location is Laidley, I'm in Brisbane. I got Bea from Heritage Hatchery and hens.

Speaking of chookie doubles, Teila, did you manage to clean that mud off Blondie? That was quite a mess she made of herself. Esmé got dirty feet on my neck and somehow my face this evening. She still has a dirty tummy but with more rain on the way I'm not bothered. It's not too bad.

Lettie's full name is Chickaletta (my niece named her after the chicken on her favourite tv show at the time!) I like the name Lettie so much more!
It sounds like Lettie and Beatrice have very similar personalities! I often call Lettie 'Little Queen'. She's a very spoiled little chicken who sort of lives inside (she likes to go out during the day but will jump at the door when she wants to come in). She struts around the house like she owns it and always chases the cats!
She kind of found her own way to us - there's a produce place at the back of our house and she escaped one evening and ended up in our yard. We took her back but they told us to keep her and she's been getting spoilt ever since!

Hey Angela, first up, adorable little ones! :love So, just for fun, I am going to have a punt but only to see how I do when you know for sure; please do not make any decisions based on my guesses. Silver .. boy Spot .. girl Squirt .. boy Shadow .. girl Storm .. boy Sunny .. girl Apricot .. girl AJ .. girl Red .. boy Dusty .. girl [I have a Dusty and she is also black :D ] Pip .. boy Raven .. girl Tiny .. girl Tee hee, I see I went the exact opposite on what SJ has mentioned. Told ya it was just for fun ;) Oooh how exciting LuckysMum! Good luck with the hatch! Progress pics … Jessie supervising again ;) So the end with the frame in the middle is the raised coop which is going to have a slide out, slatted timber floor, same as we have here, ideal for the climate and easy to clean. Two more sections of the run yet to go up so the end product will be the same length again. Plenty of room for 5 x spoiled bantams.
Interesting guesses! I have been thinking for a while that Silver is a boy but hoping desperately not! We've also been hoping that Squirt would be a girl but that comb is getting quite red! I'm quite certain that Storm is a boy as 'his' comb is red and he's got a habit of jumping on his mum and grabbing the feathers on the back of her neck like a rooster when mating. I've also recently noted that he appears to be growing wattles. Red's comb is very red now too, so I'm thinking rooster. I'm thinking (and hoping) hens for the rest, but I really don't know!

Lettie's full name is Chickaletta (my niece named her after the chicken on her favourite tv show at the time!) I like the name Lettie so much more!
It sounds like Lettie and Beatrice have very similar personalities! I often call Lettie 'Little Queen'. She's a very spoiled little chicken who sort of lives inside (she likes to go out during the day but will jump at the door when she wants to come in). She struts around the house like she owns it and always chases the cats!
She kind of found her own way to us - there's a produce place at the back of our house and she escaped one evening and ended up in our yard. We took her back but they told us to keep her and she's been getting spoilt ever since!

Lol sounds like a typical bantam, thinks she's bigger than she is, chasing cats like that. Actually I'm slightly worried about cats atm. We'll have new neighbours in a fortnight and I'm hoping they won't have a cat. My girls free range all day in the yard which is fully fenced, but still. Bea being the littlest, I just worry (as I'm pretty good at that). I'll wait and see though.

That was nice of the produce place to let you keep Lettie, looks like she chose you :) Beatrice pecked the guy who took her out of the pen for me when I got her, hehe. Made me wonder what I was getting myself into...

Last edited:
CorrieW - awwww I highly recommend - - so funny to watch, I have never had any water fowl before and amazing how attached I've become already (much to the displeasure of my fur babies) lol....I got them at 5wks from a farm so they not really human tamed but obvious used to humans; They already they get so excited when I come home and they see me, I call them and they run up to the fence all excited (of course for the treats too). They not as skittish as I thought they would be, they let me go in their run and clean up and don't run away, just observe close enough. Adorable I hope to slowly get them used to me enough to come up to me and eat from my hand but I won't push it. They love their pool too even when cleaning it out they wait impatiently walking up and down to get in. Hence the water mist and spraying to occupy them. lol
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom