Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks satay, yeah it is going to be strange having no pets at all.

Now that it is getting closer and their itinerary arrived today, I am starting to stress .. will they be OK? How will they travel? How upsetting is it all going to be for them? Crates, vans, airport, plane etc.

I am consoling myself that we are making the right decision in that if I was to leave them here, they would have new parents and who knows may be not nice parents and as long as they cope OK with the travel, their Dad will be at the other end to greet them and introduce them to their beautiful new home.

Also, on the more selfish side, I know I am making the right decision for me because having to hand them over to someone else would be heartbreaking and I do not think I could do it.

Anyways, the decision has been made and hopefully all will be OK
fl.gif

Yes I think you've made the right decision it would be hard to part with your girls. That was why I have ended up with so many girls, my nephew couldn't part with them. So he made me give them away for him. I just kept his real favourites, ones he had hand reared or nursed back to health. Good luck with the move try not to stress, I'm sure they will get over it quickly. Their new home is palatial so they should be very happy there.
smile.png

Need help!! What's the best thing to use to treat for lice/mites? Just noticed that one of my little hens has tiny crawlies!
1f641.png
None of my chickens have ever had them, but a few years ago, the chickens we had at work did, and they were treated with the wrong stuff and it ended up killing them!
I haven't noticed any on the other chickens I have, but I need to look at them properly tomorrow.
They're all mostly free range, so will I need to treat the whole yard with something?

Need help!! What's the best thing to use to treat for lice/mites? Just noticed that one of my little hens has tiny crawlies!
1f641.png
None of my chickens have ever had them, but a few years ago, the chickens we had at work did, and they were treated with the wrong stuff and it ended up killing them!
I haven't noticed any on the other chickens I have, but I need to look at them properly tomorrow.
They're all mostly free range, so will I need to treat the whole yard with something?

If they're not feather mites you can put Cydectin for cattle (injectable) in their water. I use it as a rotational wormer for my peafowl and chickens. I dose at the rate of 5ml per L. This may be overkill, but this product has high safety margins.

No news on the chicken front to report from me. Not much laying so nothing to hatch right now. Have been sick for a few months now and finally got some test results yesterday ross river fever, glandular fever and a bacterial infection.. Yes only me 3 things at once lol.

Wow you must feel like absolute crap
1f633.png
Just the glandular fever on its own would be bad enough without the other two thrown in for good measure. Take care of yourself! Going to take lots of tlc
2639.png

1f641.png

Are they lice or mites?

Mites our vet gave me ivermectin for the birds (forget the dose but it's tiny) and also said to mix up fidos medicated dog wash and then spray every surface of the coop. Worked a treat and they were gone in a couple days.

Tried the same with lice and it did nothing. Ended up using lice powder.

Last edited:
Are they lice or mites?

Mites our vet gave me ivermectin for the birds (forget the dose but it's tiny) and also said to mix up fidos medicated dog wash and then spray every surface of the coop. Worked a treat and they were gone in a couple days.

Tried the same with lice and it did nothing. Ended up using lice powder.

Looks like mites to me... When I checked her over quickly this morning, I couldn't see any on her, but I could only check her quickly cause she's not very quiet and doesn't like being held. There were heaps in the cat carrier (where she sleeps at night) though. I read somewhere that some mites will only stay on the chickens during the night?
I cleaned her bed out though and I don't see any more in there today.

I have a yard full of feathers! Mabel my araucana has started moulting. She's seemed a bit quiet for a few days, stopped laying. I put it down to the seasons changing, then since Tuesday, it's like a pillow exploded. Little fluffy grey feathers everywhere. I'm excited about it, her first mature moult and she needed it, as my two older hens have hen pecked her a little and she's looking tatty. She's going to be sooooo soft in a month, and extra mealies are required to help her through ;)

Also Esmé is back on the broody bandwagon. It's been a long time though since her last trip to cluckytown, so that's good. We got a lot of eggs from her this cycle. I've noticed though that bedtime is easier when she's clucky, i'm not trying to balance her on my shoulder whilst walking around.

Also here are some photos of Beatrice following her moult, check out those nice new feathers! She's got new colours come through too, such as a caramel colour that has added an extra dimension to her overall tan colour.

And here's a pic of her the day I brought her home, so you can see the change from 8 weeks to 1 year :)

Last edited:
Is Beatrice a Belgian?! I've a trio of black ones. They're great little layers, fly well and have brilliant personalities. Beatrice is gorgeous.

Thank you! She is, pet quality, but adorable none the less. I think she must have some mille fleur parentage somewhere, hence the pattern and colour. They are good little layers aren't they? I'd read a lot about how they weren't before I got her, but in reality she's been amazing. Bea lays regularly, and her eggs have nice rich yolks. Bea doesn't fly much though, just enough to get into the coop, or jump off something, never over the fence, so I don't trim her wings. The only downside to Beatrice is that godawful scream of hers. She's a whinger, and a spoilt whinger at that.

Do you have a pic of your little trio? :)

Back
Top Bottom