Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Fancy would you risk sending to me in Perth. I would love some of your splash silkies when your ready to part with some eggs. I understand if you don't want to send to WA.
Good luck with the horse events this weekend. I hope you don't get to much rain.
I'd be happy to send you some , if your willing to take the risk. I think that it might just have been a very boisterous postie last time I sent to WA.

Hey guys, been a while. Hope all is well :) I had a quick question, is two and a half a bit early for a hybrid layer to start slowing down, nearing the end of their laying cycle or about average?

Satay, nah Ada moulted twice this autumn actually, and has such wonderful new feathers now. Once she started laying again, she's been good thus far, though eggs until now have been a little thinner, smooth shell though with a rough bottom. Then Tuesday, in the coop I found a yolk and a small bit of squishy membrane, and today I found a thin shell left under the bush she likes to lay in. The thin shell under the bush could be from Tuesdays yolk though, as that's all I found, though it looked moist. She's never had any problems before, occasionally some warped/ridgy type shells or excess calcium deposits, nothing major though. She's three at the end of December, beginning of January. It's just been a while, my last hybrid I think was 3 when she stopped. Ada's an Australorp hybrid.

Hey guys, been a while. Hope all is well :) I had a quick question, is two and a half a bit early for a hybrid layer to start slowing down, nearing the end of their laying cycle or about average?

Mine generally slowed a bit after 2 1/2 I had Isa browns so I'm not sure if that's the same or not. They also started having health problems then. But the ones I got from a registered breeder were healthier and did last a few years. I hope that helps. I do find my chooks slow down a lot in winter.

I would rather drive 3 hours to pick up eggs than have them posted. I've bought posted eggs. Though the eggs may arrive intact, the chicks are generally weaker and have more incidents of splayed legs. I had to cull all of my most recent posted batch after hatching. Many of the breeders that i know refuse to post eggs because of the terrible feedback they receive from customers.

I can't say I've had any problems with the birds from posted eggs. They were perfectly normal.

Now the hatch rate itself that's another matter altogether, that was atrocious and The eggs have turned up covered in broken egg yolk etc.

Back
Top Bottom