Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks Luckysmum.

I think for now I might monitor Ada for now and see how her eggs go. If she shows other symptoms then I'll take her to the vet, but I'm really thinking for her it might be the beginning of her winding down. I'll monitor her diet and calcium intake.

See, my concern stems from the fact I'm currently treating Annabelle my other hybrid layer for an infection. I don't know what, but it showed up in a blood test and the avian vet prescribed the most suitable antibiotics. Annabelle has been laying soft and dodgy shelled eggs for a long while, since a respiratory infection. I put the eggs down to that, and that maybe she wasn't getting enough calcium. This current infection could be why she's been laying those kinds of eggs, or it's new and due to something else. She also has a heart murmur that could be due to the infection. Annabelle has bounced back though, she's totally herself again, one more day of meds to go (on noroclav). I wasn't advised to keep her separate, so maybe Ada picked up something from her, but like I said, Annabelle has been going on a very long while laying soft eggs, but only started acting sick over a week ago and no-one else is acting quiet and ill the way she did, they're all noisy and nosey.

I'm just conflicted as to whether or not I should take Ada to get checked out as she's otherwise healthy, and my vet whilst great, is very pricey. If need be I will spend the money, just I'm job hunting atm, and need to be a bit careful for a little while, hence the hesitation. Like seriously, I'd be looking at about $200 for consult and blood test to confirm anything going on in her (That's on top of the price of Annabelle's next checkup as well). It's just a lot when there's not a whole lot for concern just yet.

Annabelle has her check up appointment on Tuesday to see how she's going. I will mention it to the vet anyway if I decide not to take Ada along. I might give it a little time and see how she goes. Just trying to work things out in my head, wanted experienced opinions, so thanks :)

Thanks Luckysmum.

I think for now I might monitor Ada for now and see how her eggs go. If she shows other symptoms then I'll take her to the vet, but I'm really thinking for her it might be the beginning of her winding down. I'll monitor her diet and calcium intake.

See, my concern stems from the fact I'm currently treating Annabelle my other hybrid layer for an infection. I don't know what, but it showed up in a blood test and the avian vet prescribed the most suitable antibiotics. Annabelle has been laying soft and dodgy shelled eggs for a long while, since a respiratory infection. I put the eggs down to that, and that maybe she wasn't getting enough calcium. This current infection could be why she's been laying those kinds of eggs, or it's new and due to something else. She also has a heart murmur that could be due to the infection. Annabelle has bounced back though, she's totally herself again, one more day of meds to go (on noroclav). I wasn't advised to keep her separate, so maybe Ada picked up something from her, but like I said, Annabelle has been going on a very long while laying soft eggs, but only started acting sick over a week ago and no-one else is acting quiet and ill the way she did, they're all noisy and nosey.

I'm just conflicted as to whether or not I should take Ada to get checked out as she's otherwise healthy, and my vet whilst great, is very pricey. If need be I will spend the money, just I'm job hunting atm, and need to be a bit careful for a little while, hence the hesitation. Like seriously, I'd be looking at about $200 for consult and blood test to confirm anything going on in her (That's on top of the price of Annabelle's next checkup as well). It's just a lot when there's not a whole lot for concern just yet.

Annabelle has her check up appointment on Tuesday to see how she's going. I will mention it to the vet anyway if I decide not to take Ada along. I might give it a little time and see how she goes. Just trying to work things out in my head, wanted experienced opinions, so thanks :)
I would just watch and see for now. The cost of vet bills can be a killer some times for sure and they never really seem to happen when you have spare cash laying around, usually quite the opposite. A friend found a lump on her cat just recently and took him to the vets. Blood work and removal of the lump cost her $2000 just to find out he has cancer and there is nothing that can be done for him.. She's a pensioner too but lucky out vets out here are letting her pay it off..

Thanks Luckysmum.

Did the vet mention anything about peritonitis? If Ada is crossed with australorp she should hopefully , have a few more years of laying left in her. With the weather patterns we are having and given her age she may have recently completed her first 'full ' moult, in which case you can be 6 months without eggs.
Fingers crossed that's all it is. I lost a silkie roo yesterday, he was fine when I went to the shops and dead in the middle of the lawn when I got home. The sea eagle is very busy ATM and I'm wondering if he is the culprit and my German shepherd ( who has a great hate for large birds ) may have run him off. I watched him grab a turbo chook from the front yard this morning and said GS took off after him. In his haste to escape he dropped the poor wounded turbo chook in the scrub.

Did the vet mention anything about peritonitis? If Ada is crossed with australorp she should hopefully , have a few more years of laying left in her. With the weather patterns we are having and given her age she may have recently completed her first 'full ' moult, in which case you can be 6 months without eggs.
Fingers crossed that's all it is. I lost a silkie roo yesterday, he was fine when I went to the shops and dead in the middle of the lawn when I got home. The sea eagle is very busy ATM and I'm wondering if he is the culprit and my German shepherd ( who has a great hate for large birds ) may have run him off. I watched him grab a turbo chook from the front yard this morning and said GS took off after him. In his haste to escape he dropped the poor wounded turbo chook in the scrub.

Sorry to hear about your silkie roo. I lost one of my silkie girls the other day. I found her dead when I came home from work. They are now confined to the coop when I'm not home. We have new neighbours and I wonder if they have a very persistent cat. Bear is barking all hours now. I'm not sure how to send you a private message. I would love to buy some silkie eggs off you.

Last edited:
Fancy, you are right about her moult, this year was the first time I actually noticed Ada moulting properly. First moult was early autumn, her wings and such, then second one closer to the beginning of winter was her tail. I've not taken her to the vets yet, that was Annabelle my RIR hybrid. Ada did lay an egg today. Shell's a bit thin, but overall it held up. I think I'll monitor her egg laying patterns for now, take action if something seems off. She's in great health otherwise.Sorry for the loss of your roo :(

Thank you for your advice too Satay. It's good that some vets let you pay things off over time. It adds up quickly :S

Funnily, Annabelle who had her last antibiotic tablet today (thank god), and is back acting like her usual bossy self again, she's now dropping feathers! Now the infection that was bothering her has cleared up, I think it triggered a moult, I'll see what the vet says when she goes back for her check up on Tuesday. She was the only one who didn't moult this autumn, yet was the one who needed it the most. If she is, it's the silliest time of year to do so, but that's just typical of her lol. See how she goes, she may need to sleep inside to stay warm.

Fancy, you are right about her moult, this year was the first time I actually noticed Ada moulting properly. First moult was early autumn, her wings and such, then second one closer to the beginning of winter was her tail. I've not taken her to the vets yet, that was Annabelle my RIR hybrid. Ada did lay an egg today. Shell's a bit thin, but overall it held up. I think I'll monitor her egg laying patterns for now, take action if something seems off. She's in great health otherwise.Sorry for the loss of your roo :(

Thank you for your advice too Satay. It's good that some vets let you pay things off over time. It adds up quickly :S

Funnily, Annabelle who had her last antibiotic tablet today (thank god), and is back acting like her usual bossy self again, she's now dropping feathers! Now the infection that was bothering her has cleared up, I think it triggered a moult, I'll see what the vet says when she goes back for her check up on Tuesday. She was the only one who didn't moult this autumn, yet was the one who needed it the most. If she is, it's the silliest time of year to do so, but that's just typical of her lol. See how she goes, she may need to sleep inside to stay warm.
Yeah the first moult is known as a ' soft ' moult but the ' hard ' moult is far more taxing on the bird. You can get a great product called ' Calcivet ' from your feed store. Just add to the birds water , it's the easiest way to administer extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom