Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I forgot about using vicks, might mix it up, alternate with the vaseline.
I recently had some success with Tilly (one of 5 Hamburgs) who had scaly mite... strange only she got it... I think it was Fancy who recommended Vicks .... I also alternatively dipped her feet in metho and then no name brand petroleum jelly.... it worked but took some time for her poor legs to get back to normal!

I recently had some success with Tilly (one of 5 Hamburgs) who had scaly mite... strange only she got it... I think it was Fancy who recommended Vicks .... I also alternatively dipped her feet in metho and then no name brand petroleum jelly.... it worked but took some time for her poor legs to get back to normal!
Oh I used coconut oil occasionally while her feet were dry.

Coconut oil is good too if you ever need to massage the crop if you have impaction concerns, and it also has nutritional benefits. I had no probs getting Annabelle to eat some a while ago, she rather enjoyed it.

But yes, I think it's going to take some time for my Esme's feet to get back to normal, have to wait for the scales to shed. Her feet are sooooo dirty atm, and her tummy, from the dirt sticking to the vaseline. I'll see how she goes after a week. She's still pancaking on the ground a bit, but I've seen her getting up to eat, dustbath and such as well, so she's in good spirits. It must just be really irritating her feet, nasty little mites.

Would dusting the coop with pestene be good as well? I did a full clean yesterday (THAT was a painful undertaking, as I had three of them whinging at me, getting in the way on purpose the whole time).

Coconut oil is good too if you ever need to massage the crop if you have impaction concerns, and it also has nutritional benefits. I had no probs getting Annabelle to eat some a while ago, she rather enjoyed it.

But yes, I think it's going to take some time for my Esme's feet to get back to normal, have to wait for the scales to shed. Her feet are sooooo dirty atm, and her tummy, from the dirt sticking to the vaseline. I'll see how she goes after a week. She's still pancaking on the ground a bit, but I've seen her getting up to eat, dustbath and such as well, so she's in good spirits. It must just be really irritating her feet, nasty little mites.

Would dusting the coop with pestene be good as well? I did a full clean yesterday (THAT was a painful undertaking, as I had three of them whinging at me, getting in the way on purpose the whole time).

I use coopex. I wash everything down with it and just recently because of the stick fast fleas I've used malawash and soaked the floor in case any where getting in the cracks.
I know not everyone is in favour of DE but I use that in my runs and where they dust bath and in the nesting boxes. I've just starting using it more so I'm hoping the combination of everything should get rid of the pests. I was told vicks from one of my friends who is a breeder she said the camphor is soothing, that's why I use that and not Vaseline but the would both smother the little blighters. Good luck

I use coopex. I wash everything down with it and just recently because of the stick fast fleas I've used malawash and soaked the floor in case any where getting in the cracks.
I know not everyone is in favour of DE but I use that in my runs and where they dust bath and in the nesting boxes. I've just starting using it more so I'm hoping the combination of everything should get rid of the pests. I was told vicks from one of my friends who is a breeder she said the camphor is soothing, that's why I use that and not Vaseline but the would both smother the little blighters. Good luck

Thank you :) Hope your pest problems clear up soon too, before it starts to heat up again. Sucks winter's nearly over now.

I'm happy that Annabelle is well. Good luck with Ada I'm sure she'll be fine.
Poor Esme. I had scaly leg when I got my nephews chooks. I used Vicks (cheaper brand) and that fixed them all except Trudy (blue Andalusian) she was really bad I had to do hers a few times and she has it mildly again. Poor thing. I've finally got my stick fast fleas under control. Poor girls have been locked in the coop for 3 weeks, it has a concrete floor, I go in all the time and give them weeds, of which there are plenty from all the rain we've had.

Fancy if you read this I would really love to buy some silkie eggs when you have them.
Thanks
Omg stick fleas are the worst. I got a case of them in the main pen last year. Thing i found cleared it up fast was to spray the roosts and nest boxes with woolies brand surface spray. Didn't spray the birds at all but with in a week it was all gone.

Thank you :) Hope your pest problems clear up soon too, before it starts to heat up again. Sucks winter's nearly over now.
Sure does. Who'd have thought i would every say that :lau After an extreemly hot summer and autumn we really haven't cooled down alot over winter. Cold nights for sure. It was 0 this morning but hot days still.

Back
Top Bottom