Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Anniebee, I was using the vaseline everyday for several days. Downside is its so greasy and gets into feathers something chronic. My Esme is very dirty, even after a bath, but she feels better so that's the main thing.

Anniebee, I was using the vaseline everyday for several days. Downside is its so greasy and gets into feathers something chronic. My Esme is very dirty, even after a bath, but she feels better so that's the main thing.

I actually rub the vaseline up into those little feathers at the top of her legs - because there are scales there too. So far Mandy hasn't had sticky feathers from the vaseline, even though she sits on her legs every day. I check on that and it amazes me that she is 'clean' where one might expect some vaseline to have rubbed off. I hope she isn't preening herself there too much. She does preen quite happily, but mostly her wings etc.

She is due for a bath as her backside is a bit grubby - I manually remove clinging woopsies, as much of it as I can. The weather needs to be quite a bit warmer though for me to bath her.

cheers ...

Mabel laid me a PERFECT egg today, so beautiful. Diet must've been off, she was getting into the calcium grit a bit too much. So glad, she's a fantastic egg layer and all round amazing chicken.

Mabel laid me a PERFECT egg today, so beautiful. Diet must've been off, she was getting into the calcium grit a bit too much. So glad, she's a fantastic egg layer and all round amazing chicken.
Shell grit is more to aid with digestion they don't absorb enough calcium from it to make a difference. Calcium carbonate or oyster shell is more readily absorbed.
On Vicks , I've only ever applied it once a week for a few weeks. If you are wanting to soften the scales after treatment you can apply castor oil or coconut oil on a regular basis.

I actually rub the vaseline up into those little feathers at the top of her legs - because there are scales there too. So far Mandy hasn't had sticky feathers from the vaseline, even though she sits on her legs every day. I check on that and it amazes me that she is 'clean' where one might expect some vaseline to have rubbed off. I hope she isn't preening herself there too much. She does preen quite happily, but mostly her wings etc.

She is due for a bath as her backside is a bit grubby - I manually remove clinging woopsies, as much of it as I can. The weather needs to be quite a bit warmer though for me to bath her.

cheers ...
That's the correct way to treat Annie. You have to get way up the shank into the feather line . I have chicks hatching in this cold weather I have to keep checking that none have fallen out of the nest .

That's the correct way to treat Annie. You have to get way up the shank into the feather line . I have chicks hatching in this cold weather I have to keep checking that none have fallen out of the nest .
Good luck with the babies.

I have some chicks that are about 8 weeks. I'm not sure about what heating they need as it's so cold at night. So I've just kept the heat on at night only. They all have feathers, should I keep it on till the nights are warmer. Thanks

Shell grit is more to aid with digestion they don't absorb enough calcium from it to make a difference. Calcium carbonate or oyster shell is more readily absorbed.
On Vicks , I've only ever applied it once a week for a few weeks. If you are wanting to soften the scales after treatment you can apply castor oil or coconut oil on a regular basis.

Actually the stuff I use is this, I got it from petbarn, it's like small pebbles and grit in shape, but it's a calcium supplement. http://www.lovitts.com.au/product/poultry-calcium-grit/

I ended up taking Ada my Australorp hybrid to the vets for her soft shelled eggs. She's on 200mg of amoxicillin. It's day about day 3 or 4, and she laid an egg today. It had a soft soggy shell membrane covering, it and I had step in quick to stop the girls eating the yolk before I could inspect it. The white was actually a good consistency, as I was left with no choice but to scoop it up in my hand to get it away from the girls. She also passed two bits the size of my fingernail, that were the consistency of a lash egg. Hopefully this is the gunk moving through and out of her system and the antibiotics are helping. That's how the vet explained Annabelle's lash egg after she finished her antibiotics anyway.

Actually the stuff I use is this, I got it from petbarn, it's like small pebbles and grit in shape, but it's a calcium supplement. http://www.lovitts.com.au/product/poultry-calcium-grit/

I ended up taking Ada my Australorp hybrid to the vets for her soft shelled eggs. She's on 200mg of amoxicillin. It's day about day 3 or 4, and she laid an egg today. It had a soft soggy shell membrane covering, it and I had step in quick to stop the girls eating the yolk before I could inspect it. The white was actually a good consistency, as I was left with no choice but to scoop it up in my hand to get it away from the girls. She also passed two bits the size of my fingernail, that were the consistency of a lash egg. Hopefully this is the gunk moving through and out of her system and the antibiotics are helping. That's how the vet explained Annabelle's lash egg after she finished her antibiotics anyway.
Oh that's fine, it's not shell grit per say , it's calcium carbonate. It's better to leave it on free take and the courser stuff stays in their system longer giving it more time to be absorbed.

Back
Top Bottom