Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Fancy, how does the vicks vapor rub differ from vaseline, and how many applications would be needed for scaly leg? Do you need to do it daily or every second/third day, and do u need to slather the legs in it like vaseline? Can you mix the two?

I'd say my pekin Esme has a mild to moderate case. I can take pics tomorrow if need be for a better estimate of treatment duration. I was using for about four days vaseline on her feet, it softened the scales and some along with bits of crud came off on their own, but I don't think the infection is all cleared up though, as she's still standing still a bit and sitting down on the ground. I had planned to dip her legs in malaban wash once a week or so, but now I'm not sure. Her feathers are still greasy from the vaseline even after a bath. Ugh, I think I've just done too much googling and it's backfired and made me confused. I like the skin softening properties of vaseline but hate the greasiness as it rubs off on her feathers.

For the first time for as long as I can remember I heard the egg song and we had eggs in the nest box :wee.
Yay... I'm getting a few too but could do with more improvements. :fl
Have marans eggs due on the weekend. Been busy so not done a proper candle but looks like there are a few hopefuls there. Budgie sales have been through the roof as well so that has been keeping me busy as well.
This crazy winter weather does not know what it is doing out here this year. 3c this morning 32c during the day and meant to get up to 35c for the next few days.

Fancy, how does the vicks vapor rub differ from vaseline, and how many applications would be needed for scaly leg? Do you need to do it daily or every second/third day, and do u need to slather the legs in it like vaseline? Can you mix the two?

I'd say my pekin Esme has a mild to moderate case. I can take pics tomorrow if need be for a better estimate of treatment duration. I was using for about four days vaseline on her feet, it softened the scales and some along with bits of crud came off on their own, but I don't think the infection is all cleared up though, as she's still standing still a bit and sitting down on the ground. I had planned to dip her legs in malaban wash once a week or so, but now I'm not sure. Her feathers are still greasy from the vaseline even after a bath. Ugh, I think I've just done too much googling and it's backfired and made me confused. I like the skin softening properties of vaseline but hate the greasiness as it rubs off on her feathers.
The camphor in the Vicks is vey soothing on the birds legs and if you've ever had Vicks in your eyes, you can only imagine how uncomfortable it makes the mites. You need to smother it on good and thick, you really need to cut off any oxygen getting to the buggers. I find that once a week for 2 - 3 weeks is ample. Depends how bad they are , but once the scales have lifted it's unlikely they will lay flat again.

Hi all.... lots of news! Madge is laying 80gm eggs nearly everyday as is Tillie although smaller and one of the bantams are laying too! I recently entered Tillie SSH and Millie SSH bantam into the Geelong Poultry Show and won first prize for each! However I am currently nursing a sickie (Molly SSH bantam). I noticed her lingering in the coop and isolated her to get eye on her...she's not eating or drinking...no respiratory signs...I gave her an Epsom salt bath this morning...but sadly no change although she did eat 4 meal worms and I have been trying to give her water! ....any suggestions???

would love to know how to make it.
Sorry Satay...I am having trouble with the new format...kombucha is marvellous if a bit off putting visually! All you need to do is grow a scoby...sweetened tea fermented ...make tea (any tea even teabags) dissolve some sugar for the yeast to eat. Leave it to ferment in a glass container with a coffee filter or muslin over the top... a film (yes it does look like scum) grows which is the scoby.... just google it... so I can post you a scoby x

Hi all.... lots of news! Madge is laying 80gm eggs nearly everyday as is Tillie although smaller and one of the bantams are laying too! I recently entered Tillie SSH and Millie SSH bantam into the Geelong Poultry Show and won first prize for each! However I am currently nursing a sickie (Molly SSH bantam). I noticed her lingering in the coop and isolated her to get eye on her...she's not eating or drinking...no respiratory signs...I gave her an Epsom salt bath this morning...but sadly no change although she did eat 4 meal worms and I have been trying to give her water! ....any suggestions???
The big eggs are a sign that you may need to lower the protein levels in their feed, we all have the occasional ' whopper ' but in the long run large eggs can be detrimental to the bird. The shell gland deposits the same amount of calcium for egg in the birds system, so the bigger the egg the thinner the shell, hence the likelyhood of cracked or broken eggs increases.
I dont go to shows because realistically every time you take birds off the property they should undergo a 4-6 week isolation period from the rest of your birds . (Call me paranoid), but the last poultry show I went to had some sick birds included in it.
For your sick bantam , have you checked to see if her crop is emptying and when was the last time you wormed her?

Thank you Fancy, once a week sounds perfect. Dear god, I couldn't imagine getting vicks in my eyes though, argh.
Lol, might I suggest you wear a pair of disposable gloves when you apply it , or you will experience what it feels like to have Vicks in places you never thought of. That stuff is very difficult to wash off. I use the generic woolies brand $2.40 . A tub usually gives me 2-3 applications.

Thanks Fancy.... I think it was my first and only show experience!!! I sure hope I have not put my chookens in danger! The two I took are well! But poor Molly is still sick not eating or drinking! I read on line to give her Espom salts in coconut water! I did that this evening. Fingerscrossed. The hen that lays the large eggs is Madge she is a very large bird (and bossy) she is Hamburgh leghorn cross she eats the same as the others...just more she is so greedy....my chickens have layer pallets available all day and wheat with sunflower or crushed maize in the afternoon. They also have mixed greens we grow for them kale, silverbeet, fennel and of course grass. 2 - 3 times a week they have porridge...once a week they have tuna or yogurt with chia seeds. Is this too much protein? If so are you suggesting I separate Madge at tuna/yogurt feed time? Getting back to sick Molly ...I worm all of them every three months... they are due now. Should I worm her if she is unwell? Thanks so much for your great feedback I always learn something new!

Back
Top Bottom