Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I've been reading a lot of different opinions on size/width of perches for chook roosts.
I have put a thick branch and one of the original perches up about 20cm in my store bought coop but my young (10 weeks old) pullets are not roosting on them yet.
roosts.jpg

What do the Aussies think works best? Natural branch, 2x4, rounded square perch?

Hi @Aussie-Chookmum ! I'm not sure which is best, so I provided a variety. Sandy likes to ignore all perches and roost on the edge of a nest box. Mary & Janet like to roost on a perch with a rectangular profile, roughly 2x4cm. Previously, they preferred thick natural branches.

Not sure what type of perch is best for their feet though. I've been assuming they'll move if they need to.

Hi all,

I'm from NSW and have just joined BYC.

I have 4 hens. Tsuki a leghorn and Deana a Rhode Island Red (named after Dean from "Supernatural") both 21/2 years old and Alice an Araucana and Edwina an Olive Egger (named after Al and Ed from "Full metal Alchemist")

It's good to be in contact with other Aussie chook people!

Thanks to drumstick diva for the heads up!
Hi and welcome :)

I've been reading a lot of different opinions on size/width of perches for chook roosts.
I have put a thick branch and one of the original perches up about 20cm in my store bought coop but my young (10 weeks old) pullets are not roosting on them yet.View attachment 1776196
What do the Aussies think works best? Natural branch, 2x4, rounded square perch?
I live on acerage and a very large gum trees. I use the fallen branches from them.

Hi
I'm in Victoria, well near Mt. Macedon to be precise. Returned after a long absence. Still have one aged GLW going to be 9yo Sept.

Agonising over what to boost the flock back up to 12.
Almost like starting over.

Having difficulty finding this thread
Thread-social- then no six states etc shown???

Last edited:
We had strong winds here in the Blue Mountains a couple of weeks ago. Of course the fence that forms one side of the chook pens gave way and was waving back and forth like a flag.
The husband and I are repairing it this weekend and once that's done I intend to open up the gate between my older hen's run and the young ones' run. Lets hope there isn't too much fighting!

Deana 13.5.19.jpg
IMG20190513084725.jpg
IMG20190513084821.jpg

Hi
I'm in Victoria, well near Mt. Macedon to be precise. Returned after a long absence. Still have one aged GLW going to be 9yo Sept.

Agonising over what to boost the flock back up to 12.
Almost like starting over.

Having difficulty finding this thread
Thread-social- then no six states etc shown???

:frow
I have been enjoying looking at everyone's pics of their mixed flocks. It's so interesting seeing all the different plumage that chooks come in. :)
My 4 will (hopefully) each lay a different coloured egg so I can tell who layed what.

Back
Top Bottom