Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

20191209_112046.jpg
So here we go.....
Blue lace gold mum hatched under a light bulb when the broody hen she and her siblings were under, up and quit:he.
Since has not been handled. First time mum doing a terrific job.
We have 9 chicks 4- BLS and 5 - GLW out of 12 eggs. 2 eggs stone cold, candle shows no development.
Appreciate the help/ input from members, helped no end in refreshing my memory.

Cheers :thumbsup

I hope everyone is staying safe with all the fires, hailstorms, heatwaves and everything else being dealt with in Australia at the moment.
We have been on firewatch for weeks now thankfully the fires are the other side of town to me but last saturday they were in towns all around us. Sadly a friend of ours lost their house in the fires. It has been so over the top here with heat since early november we have bearly had a day under 35c and it was 43.5c last saturday and 39c for a few days this week too. We have had water bombers flying over the house most days too. Rain predicted for later this week,. Fingers crossed it lands on the fires where it is most needed to give the poor firies a break. Haven't lost any animals to the smoke or heat so far so am happy about that.

I haven’t seen any snakes at my house but I almost trod on one at school a brown snake at that
We have all seen an increase in snakes this season poor things are mostly looking for water as there is none. I have several containers out for them down the back.

Last edited:
We have been on firewatch for weeks now thankfully the fires are the other side of town to me but last saturday they were in towns all around us. Sadly a friend of ours lost their house in the fires. It has been so over the top here with heat since early november we have bearly had a day under 35c and it was 43.5c last saturday and 39c for a few days this week too. We have had water bombers flying over the house most days too. Rain predicted for later this week,. Fingers crossed it lands on the fires where it is most needed to give the poor firies a break. Haven't lost any animals to the smoke or heat so far so am happy about that.
Not good up there!
We are still green and cool to cold, understory growing well, our turn will come this year I feel, fuel load is ENORMOUS!!

Us too.

So glad this hen was broody, the 3 silver hens are super aggresive when sitting on eggs, would be awefully protective of chicks, as in full on attack.
Mum is 90% relaxed so chicks are getting quite a bit of attention from the 3yo granddaughter today.. its her first encounter with the chicks and she did good!

In this shot both my daughter and granddaughter have a chick each in their jackets...:D
Screenshot_20191210-135122_Gallery.jpg

How's everyone copping with the heat this week? Thought I had everything set and cool for girls, letting them roam free and cool wet soil to bathe in in shade. I never even thought about moving the nest box, and ended up loosing a hen in there.

Sorry to hear that Muscovy Wanda :( :hugs

My EE Edwina would choose the nest box in full sun in the middle of the day to lay her eggs in. She's a big black girl and was panting like mad so I've been discouraging that by putting fake eggs in the cooler nesting boxes. It seems to be working so far...:fl

Mine have been enjoying fruit or vegetables in iceblocks. I'd usually hose the run area down or put the sprinkler on them but water restrictions.:confused:

This is Pepper seeing if she can winkle out a cherry tomato from the ice yet
IMG20191211114640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom