Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

A baby duckling is just a duckling they grow to be ducks… a chick is a chick as they grow to be chickens…I have just put him in with the chicks and the other duckling he’s slowly started eating and he’s having small amounts of water…. Walking much better and peeping like a normal baby…. He’s coming along just be it a bit slower than normal…
That's great! (Duh! Of couse it is a duckling! :hmm I wasn't thinking....)

Tbh I’m not sure… it’s possible it’s a cross breed so it could have hatched late or early (Cayuga x Muscovy) as Cayuga take 28 days Muscovy take 35 and this duckling hatched on day 33…. Was also an assisted hatch as he was shrink wrapping and stuck in the egg… assisted 24hrs after I noticed external pip… he also has a funny leg that splays out when he walks (I’ve popped the tendon back in already) and the foot on that leg turns in and his toes are curled so he’s not really walking around much… his little wings also flap like crazy when he is walking or standing…
I hope your baby makes it.. I had two chicks that dislocated their tendons too and they didn't make it in the end. One was a late hatch and another I suspect is from a hen that's a bit sick so genetics is not good there.

Just be prepared you might have to do the hard thing as it may end up suffering unnecessarily for the rest of its life if it's genetically weaker than the rest. :( It also means a lot more stress for you too if you keep a potentially sick bird going.

I hope your baby makes it.. I had two chicks that dislocated their tendons too and they didn't make it in the end. One was a late hatch and another I suspect is from a hen that's a bit sick so genetics is not good there.

Just be prepared you might have to do the hard thing as it may end up suffering unnecessarily for the rest of its life if it's genetically weaker than the rest. :( It also means a lot more stress for you too if you keep a potentially sick bird going.
I popped the tendon back In place..he’s walking so much better.. eating and drinking he’s just a little quieter than everyone else but that’s ok..

Sometimes it happens when if they get stuck in the egg…. Not uncommon apparently…. And easy to push back into place…. Just a matter of straighten the leg backwards (light when they stretch) and roll the knee joint in your fingers untill You feel a little pop…then allow them to rest…
So it is like it is dislocated?

Back
Top Bottom