Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Yeah, yeah, but the other two manage to chase of cats and stuff, without seeking out the other broody hens and their chicks. Still, I'm not really complaining, and I think its settling down a bit now.

Ooh, how exciting! With mine it can take up to a week before they really commit though, so you might want to wait a bit before giving her eggs.

I don't really know, as I have never broken one, so far I have just given them eggs as soon as they want them. I know that another experienced member has said that gives them bad habits. (i.e. leaving the nest to soon)
I might do a search on BYC to see what others have mentioned too....😊

Candled my 29 eggs last night…
20 have little babies dancing around…
5 were never going to be viable and
4 started but gave up they had MASSIVE blood rings 😞😞
Sorry to hear about the failures.... fingers crossed for the other 20!! :fl

My two chicks that each had 1 splayed leg may be able to make it after all.....I immobilized their legs with masking tape for 24 h and their legs seemed to have strengthened overnight ....one's walking with just a slight limp but not splayed any longer...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the failures.... fingers crossed for the other 20!! :fl

My two chicks that each had 1 splayed leg may be able to make it after all.....I immobilized their legs with masking tape for 24 h and their legs seemed to have strengthened overnight ....one's walking with just a slight limp but not splayed any longer...
Thanks..
Yea that happened with oddball too… sometimes they just need a little time to work out what they are lol 😂

Hey @Poultry mum! Check out the pic below! Hint fuzz below eyes! I only noticed it today! 😂 Unfortunately I think it might be male though given the comb is already so advanced even though it's only a week old....🤔

It seems to exhibit more white feathers even though it's mummy is brown...may end up looking like it's grandma Brains who's a White Sussex cross.

IMG_2338.JPG

Last edited:
Hey @Poultry mum! Check out the pic below! Hint fuzz below eyes! I only noticed it today! 😂 Unfortunately I think it might be male though given the comb is already so advanced even though it's only a week old....🤔

It seems to exhibit more white feathers even though it's mummy is brown...may end up looking like it's grandma Brains who's a White Sussex cross.

View attachment 3292771
It’s a fuzzy baby… look at that face!!

Hello! Happy to see such a huge thread of fellow chicken and poultry-crazy Aussies :celebrate

I was wondering what you all think is the best feed for free range laying hens? I think I need a new feed because my girls are just picking at the best bits (sunflower seeds) and leaving the pellets for last:rolleyes:. Any recommendations?

I've heard Laucke and Mills XE17 is good. I'm also quite new to owning chickens and I'd love some suggestions as to what you all think is the best.

Hello! Happy to see such a huge thread of fellow chicken and poultry-crazy Aussies :celebrate

I was wondering what you all think is the best feed for free range laying hens? I think I need a new feed because my girls are just picking at the best bits (sunflower seeds) and leaving the pellets for last:rolleyes:. Any recommendations?

I've heard Laucke and Mills XE17 is good. I'm also quite new to owning chickens and I'd love some suggestions as to what you all think is the best.
Pellets Vella layer
Scratch JMs
Chicks Vella chick and duckling starter

Back
Top Bottom