Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hello! Happy to see such a huge thread of fellow chicken and poultry-crazy Aussies :celebrate

I was wondering what you all think is the best feed for free range laying hens? I think I need a new feed because my girls are just picking at the best bits (sunflower seeds) and leaving the pellets for last:rolleyes:. Any recommendations?

I've heard Laucke and Mills XE17 is good. I'm also quite new to owning chickens and I'd love some suggestions as to what you all think is the best.
I had some trouble with 17 because one of the hens only ate the good stuff and treats, and ended up with a bleeding liver.

So I'm a "pellets only" convert. It took a few days for the hens to accept their culinary fate, but they gave in eventually.

The type of pellets was recommended by the vet for hens recuperating from a broken liver. He also recommended dietary supplements. So they eat Barastoc Champion Layer all day, except when they're foraging for bugs and weeds. Before roosting I add water to two cups of pellets to make a mash and add the supplements. Probiotic, biotin, choline, DMG, milk thistle and cottage cheese.

The cottage cheese surprised me but it's high protein, high methionine, no lactose, low fat. So it's good for hens.

I had some trouble with 17 because one of the hens only ate the good stuff and treats, and ended up with a bleeding liver.

So I'm a "pellets only" convert. It took a few days for the hens to accept their culinary fate, but they gave in eventually.

The type of pellets was recommended by the vet for hens recuperating from a broken liver. He also recommended dietary supplements. So they eat Barastoc Champion Layer all day, except when they're foraging for bugs and weeds. Before roosting I add water to two cups of pellets to make a mash and add the supplements. Probiotic, biotin, choline, DMG, milk thistle and cottage cheese.

The cottage cheese surprised me but it's high protein, high methionine, no lactose, low fat. So it's good for hens.

Yes @Lady Honkington, like @MaryJanet said, I would avoid whole grain feeds as they become selective and only eat what they like. I used to get that and they will eat everything else except the lupins which is what makes the feed high in protein. Two of them ended up with fatty liver disease and eventually succumb to it.

Anyone here affected by the floods?
Yeah, my fiance is. He is visiting his family and is currently cut off. We're not sure how he is going to get out.. A lot of my friends and family are too.
Yes @Lady Honkington, like @MaryJanet said, I would avoid whole grain feeds as they become selective and only eat what they like. I used to get that and they will eat everything else except the lupins which is what makes the feed high in protein. Two of them ended up with fatty liver disease and eventually succumb to it.
Thank you! I decided to go with the XE17 by Laucke Mills. They seem to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom