Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

It's something I actually have to work toward doing. I personally have not done it, I can semi pluck and cut up but other then that was never very involved.
After being taught I think I could process them, but the actually killing someone might have to do for me...
I'd be having the same problems mate.

I know what you mean....I actually didn't grow up in the country. I'm from suburbia and only moved to the country recently.

Killing animals is not what I've ever done b4 but we want to be more self-sustainable so we made the decision to do so. Also the way broiler chickens are raised (even RSPCA approved ones) and killed is disturbing and cruel. Commercial broilers themselves are usually so inbred to grow so fast they often suffer severe sicknesses and lameness due to their rapid weight growth.

I stopped eating red meat 10 years ago and only consume chicken, some seafood and loads of eggs. It's worked well so far. 😊
Awesome choices.

I wish I could stop red meat but it's such a comfort every now and then.

Awesome choices.

I wish I could stop red meat but it's such a comfort every now and then.
You get used to it....also it's actually not a very healthy choice of protein. There are a lot of chronic health implications associated with eating red meat. Also it's not sustainable either. But hey I'm not saying all this to try & stop you...it's just my opinion. 😊

Want these two ? They're my accidents 😅
View attachment 3331463
View attachment 3331464
Am just joking though as you are in a different state and these two might be roos.
I have three cross/unknown hens, they're lovely things.
I myself really like rare/Heritage breeds and varieties which triples how hard it's to find any chickens.
No might about it they are definitely boys!
It’s the boys like that I tend to keep.. the weird looking ones that no one else wants ….

Well I’m trying something new … I’ve grabbed my semi broody girl popped her in a box and given her some eggs… I’m going to try and see if I get a better hatch from her than. My incubators that seem to keep failing me at the last minute.. moved my duck eggs over only to find one piped duckling DIS and one semi piped duckling that doesn’t look like it’s going to make it… so I’ll try the old fashioned way but I’ll keep her inside where I can keep her and the eggs safe from kelpie x and my GSD and keep her safe from the muscovy girls who have a habit of stealing eggs… not always for hatching themselves…

As I have grown up in the bush, and even though at times we didn't have that many animals, I have seen life and death for as long as I can remember.
I love kangaroos, and have made friends with a couple, and that comes with heart ache as I can't look after them and they get shot.
So I've come to except it, and move on from it, so it wasn't such a big deal for me to deal with the cockerels.
And I love letting mother hens hatch their eggs, and that wouldn't be possible if I couldn't deal with it.
On another note, in the moment I've got a goat kid living in the house, which is a lot of fun! (and hard work!)

Not sure if I've introduced myself here and apologies if I already have but hello!
My name is Lexi and I'm a young chicken keeper in QLD that currently owns about 12 chooks 5 of which are chicks. I hope to post on here a lot :)
Hello!
I'm in south east NSW, and also on the younger side :)

Back
Top Bottom