Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!! Fuzzy butts for NYD!!!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Ducky, I'm sure others would be kicking themselves, especially the dealers, usually they pick up anything cheap. Guess everyone thought I was stupid buying a 'dieing' hen but she's just fine now she's had a little TLC.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You havent missed anything yet... You still have about 10 days to get some eggs togeether to be part of it. It was fun last year. I had duck eggs- some silkies as well- maybe even something else- I cant remember - But I did hatch some wyandottes around the same time as well.

Ha! What a good excuse to hatch some more Malays!!
wee.gif
Talking of which my four little babies have arrived from Queensland,we are going to pick them up tomorrow! Can hardly wait.

Thankyou for your advice Chillin' with my Peeps and Overrun. Both chickens are doing well. The weather here in Melbourne has been crazy up and down all over the place. Have been feeding them their pellets which they have been devouring.

I am trying my hardest to keep where they are nice and dry and warm.

Is funny watching them they come running out into the run as soon as they hear me coming.

Orchid1975

Well after 40 degrees last week, this week in the 20s and im having a hard time with the brooder temps. But the chicks seem to be doing well, they are moving to and from the light as needed.

Not NYD hatching for me! ive got enought hatchlings t see me through for a while. Still nothing from the broody hen, she isnt moving of the nest must in the last few days. so im guessing it wont be long, and it will be 3 weeks this weekend so not long now!!

Pagent night here tomorrow. If 7 chickens hatch i may just have to name them after reindeer

One of my broodies has a chick out!
ep.gif
jumpy.gif

I knew one egg looked ahead of the others but I wasn't expecting a chick yet! She's still siting tight on the nest so I left her and the chick for the night, I hope it had some siblings tomorrow or I'll have to take it and put it in the brooder. I've also prepped the 'bator in case she leaves the nest with the single chick. She wasn't acting like she knew what it was tonight so I think she will keep sittting till more hatch. She's a first time broody but she's done a good job of sticking to the nest.
smile.png

wee.gif
For your new chicken Rarebreed

Hope there are more in the morning- and good thinking on the incubator- always good to be prepared like that.

Well momma is taking good care of her chick.
jumpy.gif
She left the nest so I have the rest of the eggs in the hatcher, some are only a few days away by the look of it. I've got the main 'bator running too as some of the eggs are much further behind. Once it's up to temp I can transfer them across and put the hatcher into lockdown.
smile.png

ya.gif
for the chicky baby
jumpy.gif

still nothing from my broody, 3 weeks tomorro from when i first noticed she was broody so shouldnt be long, she is stuck fast to that nest though! The rest have been running around in the back yard today, Has been a bit of a laugh watching them all. Booted the silkies out of their house today too and put the incubator chicks into the bird cage.

The bigger hens and rooster have been watching them all day, while the silkies have been annoyed someone else has been in their house. The little babes had a wonderful time running around all day, and it was just beautiful outside. They were jumping and perching on all sorts of things. Little things were knackered when they got inside, they all flaked out fast asleep and have stayed that way all day

Also was suprised to find a dead goanna in the backyard today. I did wonder if there was one hanging around as I saw some cracked eggs with parts of the shells missing and a few times i had been sure there was something sneaking in the grass. Shame they are just lovely things. Im guessing the dog might have got it.

But i think im kinda glad its gone, i wouldnt want it eating the babies, although i dont think the bigger ones would let it

Back
Top Bottom