Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Wooklet- I wish now you had come for this weekend to pick up your girls and you could have heard what I heard today at the Geelong Poultry club show. I spoke 2 the judge when his duties for the day were finished- as well as another fellow who judged some of my birds last year and another fellow I have never met. All pretty much agreed with my thoughts on my own birds as far as who was best etc and it certainly was great to be reminded of what I am looking for in a good bird. It makes me look at the younger of the two you picked and makes me realise she is even better than I thought before today!!!

Rachel96 - try putting some peas in the pool and watch them dabble for them.. I love watching my ducks do that in their pool.
I agree that she is a beautiful bird,and judging by the comments I have heard from others I am also convinced of her worth! I just can't thank you enough for both of them! It would be good to go to an interstate show,but I think that that was the cheapest time I could come. I am really looking forward to the show here on the 14th-have to get down to cage training in earnest this week.

Rachel I also have silkies,and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly they sell,even,as you say the Roosters,everyone loves Silkies!
love.gif

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone here is thinking of going for a look at the Canberra Nationals this year in June??

Its the national Poultry show - only held every four years on the long weekend?

Hi, everyone!

Just want to share a poem that I found in the latest issue of a homeschooling magazine I subscribe to (just out of interest, it's put out by a friend of mine locally for homeschooled teenage girls). Apparently, the poem's from a book called "Australian Poems that would Cheer and Chook":

If you're a poultry farmer you've probably heard the name
Of that ornamental chicken that's called Old English game.
A descendant of the fighting cock, unlike the Delaware,
That’s a dual-purpose chicken from America somewhere.
It's white and rapid-growing and the eggs it lays are born,
As are the eggs of Orpingtons from some old Kentish town.
The Orpington's a heavy bird, an popular with cooks;
But we're not into fancy names, us Aussies call them chooks.

A very tasty chicken, or so I’ve heard it said,
Is another breed from USA, the plump New Hampshire red.
They're fairly new, as fowl breeds go, unlike the bird Malay;
'Which is an ancient Asian fowl from some far yesterday.
Then there's the Jersey Giant, a quite outstanding sight!
Weighing up to thirteen pounds, it can be black or white .
But despite their size or heritage, regardless of their looks,
I'm sure, that if we saw them, we'd simply call them chooks!

Barneveld come from Holland a dual-purpose breed,
As is the Dorking chicken; its legs are short indeed!
From China comes the silky, a fluffy, little bird,
Whose different type of feathers makes it look a touch absurd!
The Australorp's Australian, and produces many eggs;
And the Andalusia’s Spanish, with long and sturdy legs.
But no matter where their home is, be it London or Tobruk;
Once venturing to Australia they'll each be known as chook!

Well, I enjoyed it, anyway.
from Rachel.

Hi Rachel,That's a great poem! And it mentions all the breeds I have-Malay,Silkie and Barnevelder! I've printed it out and put it in my chicken book - so thank you for posting it!
D.gif

Last edited:
hi i am from sydney - have 2 isa browns 2 golden sexlinks and 2 black lorp crosses.

im heading to Sydney royal but didnt know anything about the one in ACT - inlaws live there so i may go. have you any other details ?

Yes, welcome, IamSamSam and City Lay-Dee. There seem to be a lot of Victorians/New South Welshmen here! Oh, no! Gasp! But you're sure to find others here from your state.

Well, I'm glad you all enjoyed the poem. Upon reading it again, I noticed a rediculous amount of mistakes in it, though. That's what you get for copying and pasting! Did anyone else wonder how 'born' rhymes with 'town'. I'm reasonably certain it's mean to be 'brown'. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom