Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Very disappointing result from my new Rcom incubator.
Only 11 out of 24 eggs hatched, although I think it had
humidity issues in the last 3 days- pump didnt seem to be pumping much.

Checked remaining eggs- 7 dead in shell, perfectly formed, 5 not fertile.

On a brighter note, I picked up 2  beautiful Leghorn hens to cross with my Aruacana
roosters and hopefully produce pure blue eggs.  Also picked up 2 dozen barred Plymouth Rock eggs
to incubate next.

xxx

Did you test your pump to make sure it was pumping ok. Press the plus button and hold til it beeps then it will pump so you can see if it is working ok. You may have to ajust how quick it pumps on the box. I use 37.5c and 45% for day 1 to 18 and then 65% for lockdown. Once the first one hatches i open the vent on the front by a third and leave it till they all hatch. Hope that helps..

Last edited:
Thanks Satay- a couple of things I did wrong - i put the eggs in upside down, and I didnt re-test the pump after I
changed from 45% to 65% . When I cleaned out the incubator after the hatch, I found the bottom section full of water- Is that normal?
I now have it full of Barred plymouth rock eggs, so we shall see! xxx

HOLY WOW id love to help you out especially with the chickens but im in coffs harbour??? is the coop disassemble?
Hi Sandra.....
yes the coop does dissasemble. I have already had a nice man from 20minutes away take my little flock. Missing my little man soooo much (roo).
Thanks for your offer though.....hope you hava great week.
frow.gif

Thanks Satay- a couple of things I did wrong - i put the eggs in upside down, and I didnt re-test the pump after I
changed from 45% to 65% . When I cleaned out the incubator after the hatch, I found the bottom section full of water- Is that normal?
I now have it full of Barred plymouth rock eggs, so we shall see!  xxx
I have only had water in the bottom of mine once and that was when i was doing duck eggs. Mind you it is pretty humid out here so my pump usually only runs for lockdown. You can check when you candle it just lift up the incert and see if there is any water under it and drain if you need then put it back in. I hope you have better luck this time.

Last edited:
Hi Sandra.....

yes the coop does dissasemble.  I have already had a nice man from 20minutes away take my little flock.  Missing my little man soooo much (roo).
Thanks for your offer though.....hope you hava  great week.:frow

So glad you found a nice home for your flock. it is sad when they go though isn't it. I am such a woose even when i hatch chicks to sell i hate seeing them go lol.
Are you going to get some more when you move up to qld? Which part are you moving too?

GUESS WHAT???????,,, so excited!!!!!!!!!! im getting a dozen fertile eggs for my broody hen to hatch!!!!!!!!!! Half a dozen White leghorn fertile eggs and half a dozen Minorca fertile eggs. Really keen to get hatching, then my plan is to BREED!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
Sorry to be over the top with exclamation marks and CAPITALS but SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Hi Cluckcluck,
Thats (12) a lot of eggs for one hen.If they are all fertile, it may be best to just do 6-8? Just my opinion, but they work very hard to regulate every egg under them so too many can be quite stressful.
I am not trying to be negative, I just want you and your hen to have a "good" experience.

Hi Cluckcluck,
Thats (12) a lot of eggs for one hen.If they are all fertile, it may be best to just do 6-8? Just my opinion, but they work very hard to regulate every egg under them so too many can be quite stressful.
I am not trying to be negative, I just want you and your hen to have a "good" experience.

oh thank you for the help, i did ask some one else this but they just said that a Buff Orpingtons would be able to do it, my hen is a red sex-link i did have a bet that she would go broody first this summer which i won hehe, and she does have a bigger butt than the rest Ive noticed but i think its her first time and its definitely my first time. Ive already put the order in and i get them this Saturday so i cant really change it. Is there any way of making another hen broody or would i be able to put 8 under her now then wait for another broody hen and put the rest under her, ahhh!!! this has all gone horribly and i haven't even got them
hit.gif
!!!!!!!!!!

oh thank you for the help, i did ask some one else this but they just said that a Buff Orpingtons would be able to do it, my hen is a red sex-link i did have a bet that she would go broody first this summer which i won hehe, and she does have a bigger butt than the rest Ive noticed but i think its her first time and its definitely my first time. Ive already put the order in and i get them this Saturday so i cant really change it. Is there any way of making another hen broody or would i be able to put 8 under her now then wait for another broody hen and put the rest under her, ahhh!!! this has all gone horribly and i haven't even got them:hit !!!!!!!!!!

Hey luke. Congrats on the new eggs. If you only have one broody then shove the 12 under her. Better not to let them go to waste. 12 can be alot for one hen but better that than chuck them out. ( you wanna run up to qld and borrow one of my now 8 broodies in the large fowl and gosh knows how many in bantams :lol: )You can always take some eggs and give them to another broody later on if you have one go broody. Well i have finally found a lady that had dark wellsummer eggs so I am making the 2 hour drive on sunday to pick them up.I now think the other eggs sent by the other lady were welly cross brown leg horn. From those eggs. 2 were broken on arrival and out of the other 10, 9 are showing signs of development

Last edited:
I have only had water in the bottom of mine once and that was when i was doing duck eggs. Mind you it is pretty humid out here so my pump usually only runs for lockdown. You can check when you candle it just lift up the incert and see if there is any water under it and drain if you need then put it back in. I hope you have better luck this time.

Hey Ash,
Just thought of something else. You do have the humidity pad in? I am sure you do but one hatch i forgot to put it in until day 10 when i candled and that could cause water build up in the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom