Australorp chicks biting, and breed differences.

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
My two 8 day-old Black Australorp chicks are very confident, snuggly, and NIPPY! My two Golden Comets are also confident and snuggly, but very gentle. How should I interpret the nipping? Is there anything I should do to discourage it? I will also say that the Australorps are the first to spot and peck at anything new (including art on their brooder wall, whereas the Comets couldn't care less. They're mostly interested in arms and wrists, not so much hands/fingers. It's been like this since Day 1.

I have seen this could indicate cockerels, but at least one is almost certainly a female (tail feathers at a few days old). I'd love to hear from others that have raised Australorps, and how you found their behavior as chicks. All the articles said "shy and gentle" :lau

I don’t know what breed chicks I have but two of them look like they could be black Australorps. They are very bold and the ones establishing the pecking order. (Technically I have three that look the same but one is a runt and sweet as pie). I just assumed they are probably cockerels. I wish there was a quicker way to definitively know the sex. I can’t have roosters in city limits.

Back
Top Bottom