Australorp laying age?

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
My two BA girls are 14 weeks old and changing their facial coloring a little, turning pinkish-red.

What is the average age your pullets started to lay in this breed? They are the sweetest little gals and we love, love , love them!!!
love.gif

I think of all of our breeds, I am excited to see them lay the most, for some funny reason!

Thanks!

Last edited:
My first-to-lay Australorp last November was 21 weeks-old. The last-to-lay laggard was 24 weeks.

I think this was the latest I've waited for this breed but failing daylight and cold temperatures probably had a lot to do with the timing. Too early a start may not be such a good thing because of small size pullets and a continuing small size to the eggs.

Steve

We got our Lorps, Buffs, Silkies, and Giants around Feb 6th as hatchlings.

The buffs went 1st sometime in mid to late June. So...16 to 18 weeks is about right

The silkies went a few days later....

The Lorps took an extra week or two before they started and seemed to ramp up the slowest. The eggs were about the same in size and color as the buffs. (both being slightly larger than the silkie eggs...but not terribly larger)

We're ramping up to full blown eggdom now and getting about 16 per day with about 21 girls total.

I'm not sure if the giants have started yet since they are in with the lorps and about the same size. Could be late layers....Could be same size eggs at the moment. Really don't know

We are loving the silkies....who sit on the golfballs trying to make them hatch
wink.png
. Time to pull them out I guess. We also LOVE our buffs who travel around the house and scratch for bugs. We've not seen any ticks in a while....I hope its due to the chickens and not just a coincedence.

The Lorps are mild mannered and get along ok with us....but have had the least personality of the group we got. The Jersey Giant Rooster is just plain MEAN and challenges me for "King Chicken" every time I go out. (and he knows which one is me if we go out in a group) The giant hens pretty much just mingle with the lorps and are stand-offish.

One Lorp went across the street yesterday (hen) and visited with the little girl there. She layed an egg on their front porch while visiting. They LOVED it....so we let the little girl go search the stalls for more eggs and gave her 4 more.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom