Australorp or Black Orpington?

TheWeaver

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
Balingup, Western Australia
What do you think?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/perth-region/livestock/orpington-pullets/1016920214

I'm just having trouble believing them because I've been looking around for about a year now and I've not seen a single black orpington in this region, usually just buffs and sometimes crele. The pictures on google images between the two breeds are so similar that I can't tell the difference at all, I think they only have 1 difference in their ancestry or something. What is the give away?

They look a lot more feathered than my black australorp, but it could be a rooster and I don't know if that would make a difference. Ill post a pick of my australorp

At that age the pullets are still growing. Those are carrying to much feather to be Australorps.
The photograph in my profile is of 1 of my Australorp males.

Last edited:
I raise Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps - BAs have pink on the underside of their black foot. I agree with the other poster who said the one in question looks 'too feathered out' at that age to be a BA. It also does not have the usually 'very pretty' face of the BA pullets that I have raised and owned.
Don't know if this helps much - good luck.

I raise Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps - BAs have pink on the underside of their black foot. I agree with the other poster who said the one in question looks 'too feathered out' at that age to be a BA. It also does not have the usually 'very pretty' face of the BA pullets that I have raised and owned.
Don't know if this helps much - good luck.
All information helps me, as I'm sort of pretty new to poultry anyway :/

Very pretty face, hmm..It's quite annoying because google sometimes bring up the same pictures for both breeds. I'll have to stick to the BYC articles. Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom