Australorp? or Not?

Amazing how happy we can be ..just knowing the what of what our chickies are!!!

I have a tiny black chick...only 8 weeks old...thought it was going to possibly be a Black Maran..but noticed today that it has a speckling of white on the breast feathers..but it is black ..feet..beak & feathers..so might be either a Australorp or a Maran cross I guess. My flock is mixed...BR, RIR, Dominiquers, & some other mixes that were sold at Big R..& of course they never know what they are...chickens...duh!!!

Got the first of the new eggs a couple of days ago...got lovely brown eggs..one was a double yolker!! They are still small but as the girls mature so will the eggs! I am just thrilled to have them finally doing something besides eat!! Hmm was gonna post a pic..but havent' loaded them off my phone yet!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr technology!!

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

She does look like an Aussie, but check the feathers for that green sheen. Jersey Giants can also have green sheen to the feathers. Look at the bottom of the feet. If they are white, you have an Australorp. If they are yellow, you have a Jersey Giant.

What if she looks like an Australorp but has pink on the bottom of her feet?
Is it supposed to cover the bottom of her feet completely or just the center pad?
Mine has black toes all around but the pad of her foot is pink. It's night now so I can't see if her feathers have a green sheen, I don't think I ever noticed but hopefully I'll remember to look tomorrow.

What if she looks like an Australorp but has pink on the bottom of her feet?
Is it supposed to cover the bottom of her feet completely or just the center pad?
Mine has black toes all around but the pad of her foot is pink. It's night now so I can't see if her feathers have a green sheen, I don't think I ever noticed but hopefully I'll remember to look tomorrow.

That's considered white. If she was a Jersey Giant the yellow would be obvious.

Back
Top Bottom