Australorp??

marlo1968

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Lorenzo, TX
I'm told she may be an australorp, can the sheen be purple on an australorp? All I've seen in the descriptions are green sheen, but hers is purple. It's hard to see in the pic though second pic is better, 7 weeks old. If not an australorp then what?

Potential Australorp, could also be a Jersey Giant. Check the bottom of the feet, if it's an Aust they will be pink. Yellow, Jersey Giant
thanks....must be jersey giant, legs are black bottom of feet yellow. When she was little her legs were black down half way down her toes, then the ends of her toes were yellow, now all of her legs and feet are black, but bottom is yellow, thanks for your help

Ignore all the "green sheen" talk. It's just people who don't realize ALL black chickens of hundreds of breeds have a green sheen, sorry. Purple sheen is fine, happens on any black color too, it's just a different rate of feather growth that causes purple bands in the feathers.

As long as she has white soles and a pinkish case around the soles, she's an Australorp.

Ignore all the "green sheen" talk. It's just people who don't realize ALL black chickens of hundreds of breeds have a green sheen, sorry. Purple sheen is fine, happens on any black color too, it's just a different rate of feather growth that causes purple bands in the feathers.

As long as she has white soles and a pinkish case around the soles, she's an Australorp.

well, either way (Australorp or Jersey Giant) I hope she keeps that purple sheen, really is cool looking....she's stylin
cool.png

It will dissipate as she gets older, especially if her diet or environment improves. Often purple bands are from improper feather growth. It happens a lot with young birds but does eventually go away, unless there is something wrong with the bird's diet or environment when mature.

It will dissipate as she gets older, especially if her diet or environment improves. Often purple bands are from improper feather growth. It happens a lot with young birds but does eventually go away, unless there is something wrong with the bird's diet or environment when mature.

dang...like the purple...oh well.

they are on chick starter, have plenty of clean water available with a little apple cider vinegar, get veggie scraps, and although its early oyster shells, also get scratch each morning.....am I missing something?

I wouldn't be the person to ask. I've had purple in my chicks before too, I don't know what one should do to change it, I just know that it can happen but most often disappears with age, however in show it is a serious fault.

I wouldn't be the person to ask. I've had purple in my chicks before too, I don't know what one should do to change it, I just know that it can happen but most often disappears with age, however in show it is a serious fault.

It's too bad that the purple is a fault....it's really pretty, today I double checked her feet and sure enough the bottoms are quite yellow, so it looks like I have a Jersey Giant. I also saw green with the purple today.

I have 8 Australorps in my flock. My Roo is getting really pretty at 16/17 weeks old. Beetle green and purples when the sun shines on him. The older he gets the more colors come out.

Back
Top Bottom