Australorps breed Thread

On Dec. 21, we started having longer days so I thought Southern Hemisphere started having shorter days at the same time.

Check the hours of light you have and see if yours will reach POL(point of lay) before the daylight hours go down to 12 per day.

Still, 22 to 27 weeks old for the first egg.

Maybe technically we have :) but the sun is still waking me at 6am and it's not fully dark till close 8:30. So they feel long :)

Last edited:
I had Not heard that ...I always thought eating raw eggs was a macho thing ..
I have never wormed my chickens or ever seen any sign of worms in them .

Maybe the Apple cider vinegar in their water makes a bad environment for worms ?
I also give them chopped raw onions or hot pepper flakes or cayenne pepper in their treats occasionally

Raw egg white is also good for putting on a burn ..
I antibacterial all my eggs by putting some white vinegar in the last rinse then let them dry ..

I had a burn on my stomach & leg from the boiling hot water coming out of a pressure cooker .
( It was my fault ..I was in a hurry to do the next lot ...and opened it while it still had pressure )
I opened it & it sprayed out at my stomach & leg ....It hurt horribly ...I put a cold wash cloth on it ...
the minute I took it off it hurt again ..I searched the internet for a remedy ..
Found Raw egg whites ..
Tried it ....Instant Relief ....it stopped hurting immediately ! ...only a few spots on my stomach blistered with time .
I applied it twice a day & let it dry each time ..After a year ..you can hardly even tell I was burned there .
It healed so nicely ...

Egg whites are solid protein... Healing a flesh wound requires a lot of protein (it's what your skin is made of, essentially!)... So egg whites on a burn wound makes total sense! It's why we feed higher protein snacks to our birds when they have injuries. :)

MrsB

I know. Oddly my uncles never got sick. But most of their meals in the summers were vegan except for the 3 raw eggs and fresh milk. I do not think that they tried to eat this way. It just happened. Even though two of them were millionaires you would never know. They tried to never spend a penny. The other two were the same, but did not attain millionaire status.
I remember eating plenty of pickled items, various greens, breads, beans, and meat in the fall and winters with them and my grandparents. Nutrition was the only reason they ate raw eggs (something that my great grandfather told them that they had to do).

See...you mentioned another nutritional powerhouse...pickling (and fermenting too!). What your uncles did in the "good ole days" perfectly spotlights nutritional and health wisdom that we've all but lost nowadays. The process preserved food beautifully for use during the cold months when "fresh" was no longer available, and the processing/canning/fermenting of these foods provided everything needed for creating maximally health gut flora. Nowadays we live in the "everything is available all the time for the right price" kind of world, and have hence lost much of what improved human health. I LOVE stories like this, so thanks for sharing.

Oh...and my husband and I are well acquainted with many millionaires. I've learned that they all got that way not just through hard work, but through practiced frugality as you've described. Even now we get extremely wealthy customers driving cars that cost nearly as much as my house coming into our auto body repair shop and insisting that the repair of their car should only cost about 10-20% of what we charge. They fight over every cent. Because we recognize the behavior for what it is we don't lose our temper over it, but we also learned not to fight with them. The price is the price...take it or leave it. About 99% of them take it...and many are repeat customers...but not until they've shopped around and discovered that we're not being unrealistic after all. It's almost become a betting game between my husband and our assistant manager..."how long until they come back and schedule the repair..one, two or three days?"
roll.png

I had Not heard that ...I always thought eating raw eggs was a macho thing ..
I have never wormed my chickens or ever seen any sign of worms in them .

Maybe the Apple cider vinegar in their water makes a bad environment for worms ?
I also give them chopped raw onions or hot pepper flakes or cayenne pepper in their treats occasionally

Raw egg white is also good for putting on a burn ..
I antibacterial all my eggs by putting some white vinegar in the last rinse then let them dry ..

I had a burn on my stomach & leg from the boiling hot water coming out of a pressure cooker .
( It was my fault ..I was in a hurry to do the next lot ...and opened it while it still had pressure )
I opened it & it sprayed out at my stomach & leg ....It hurt horribly ...I put a cold wash cloth on it ...
the minute I took it off it hurt again ..I searched the internet for a remedy ..
Found Raw egg whites ..
Tried it ....Instant Relief ....it stopped hurting immediately ! ...only a few spots on my stomach blistered with time .
I applied it twice a day & let it dry each time ..After a year ..you can hardly even tell I was burned there .
It healed so nicely ...

Interesting info on the burn treatment. I'll have to keep that in mind since I spend so much time in the kitchen and I'm a total klutz.
big_smile.png

Two other natural things for potentially preventing worms in chickens are garlic and cinnamon. They both also have a natural anti-inflammatory effect on the body...chicken and human. (In humans the cinnamon also helps control blood sugar spikes.) I also know that in humans, olive leaf extract is one of the best de-wormers that money can buy and is used profusely in various parts of the world in lieu of pharmaceuticals...but I've yet to find any literature on using it in chickens.

Oh...and in the realm of home remedy healing...if you cut yourself, instead of reaching for neosporin treat the cut with raw garlic. It burns like the dikkens but kills the germs faster than just about anything out there and dramatically speeds healing. Because of my woodworking and my cooking, I get a lot of cuts and burns on my hands. I'm now never without garlic nearby.

On Dec. 21, we started having longer days so I thought Southern Hemisphere started having shorter days at the same time.

Check the hours of light you have and see if yours will reach POL(point of lay) before the daylight hours go down to 12 per day.

Still, 22 to 27 weeks old for the first egg.

If it's been super overcast and cloudy and gray for the last two weeks, can thick cloud cover affect laying? I suppose it could... I ask, because the two mature hens we had were laying almost every day, then it trickled off, and now it has all but stopped. Our pullets are nearing POL.

... Will they EVER start laying again??? :p

MrsB

If it's been super overcast and cloudy and gray for the last two weeks, can thick cloud cover affect laying? I suppose it could... I ask, because the two mature hens we had were laying almost every day, then it trickled off, and now it has all but stopped. Our pullets are nearing POL.

... Will they EVER start laying again??? :p

MrsB
Lots of things can put them off from laying. Usually stress events will last for a week or so and then they pick back up.

I have heard about people forgetting that dark coops and runs on cloudy days can lower egg production if the hens are cooped up. Adding a light during dark days can help.

I have had them drop in laying after a big windy storm here.

My 3 Aussies are that age too. I got them the end of Sept. Mine are so sweet, shy, and are low in the pecking order. Hope they get more friendly.
I hit the button twice. I was trying to respond to another comment. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom