Australorps breed Thread

G'day Ron,
haven't caught up for a while and came across this. Just wondering if winter laying is not the norm in American BA's. I've gotta disagree with you that it's "just the way they are as a breed". Here they are highly regarded as winter layers and from my own experience, I agree. My birds last season began laying on the very first day of winter and only stopped in the following fall for moulting.
Regards Geoff

Ron,
meant to add that it doesn't get as cold in most of Australia as it does in your northern bits. My climate would be similar to California my American Aussie friends tell me. I couldn't say how they perform as a breed in very cold conditions. I vaguely recall though that BA's didn't perform as well in England as they did here. Plus, I understand that they took off more in your south when introduced to the U.S. Surprisingly for a black chook, they cope with heat well if not overweight. We had a few weeks of over 40 degrees Celsius this summer and a couple of my girls decided to go broody! Hatched out the chicks too. As we know, Ron, there're breed characteristics, but different strains don't look the same, nor behave the same.
Cheers Geoff
Hi Geoff!

It is good to hear from you!

Laying and other production characteristics is very dependent on the line for sure! From what I have seen at my place in California and with the Breeds I have, the more Leghorn that is in the breed\line the less they will lay without lights. It is the same with production of Meat but that is because Leghorns used for egg laying are little things.

And that is not universally because I have seen pictures of big Brown Leghorns! Those could be used for Meat Production. The Breed differences is for averages. There are large differences in individuals in the average group.

Of course it is all good now since I have more eggs than I can use now! Spring is here for us in the Northern part of the World.

Do you think this is a hen or roo? (Black Australorp) The combs & wattles are the same size and color amongst the 6 I have. The only thing that looks different compared to the others is the body size and longer tail. She is about 6-7 weeks old.
I'm new at this, thanks. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.

Do you think this is a hen or roo? (Black Australorp) The combs & wattles are the same size and color amongst the 6 I have. The only thing that looks different compared to the others is the body size and longer tail. She is about 6-7 weeks old.
I'm new at this, thanks. Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area.

my guess is cockerel

Ron,
meant to add that it doesn't get as cold in most of Australia as it does in your northern bits. My climate would be similar to California my American Aussie friends tell me. I couldn't say how they perform as a breed in very cold conditions. I vaguely recall though that BA's didn't perform as well in England as they did here. Plus, I understand that they took off more in your south when introduced to the U.S. Surprisingly for a black chook, they cope with heat well if not overweight. We had a few weeks of over 40 degrees Celsius this summer and a couple of my girls decided to go broody! Hatched out the chicks too. As we know, Ron, there're breed characteristics, but different strains don't look the same, nor behave the same.
Cheers Geoff
40 °C is very warm. Is Australia heat dry or humid? Or it depends where you live just like the U.S.? Can you say hello to my friends in Melbourne for me?

G'day Vam,
40+!C is not "very warm", mate. In Aussie vernacular, it's very bloody hot!!! Birds were dropping out of the trees! Only lost 2 of around 300 birds. Both young cockerels. Unusual for me. Normally, if something fatal is gonna happen to a chook of mine, it's a pullet. P.M me with some names and addresses. I presume you're of Greek heritage. There are so many ex Greeks in Melbourne that I believe it qualifies as the third biggest Greek city population in the world! Everyone's got Greek relatives! One of my cousins married 2 of 'em! If you're not Greek, this was a stupid conversation on my part. Where I live it's dry Californian type heat. Up north it's humid, tropical. Down south in Tasmania, it's like England. Better make a BA contribution. I'll add to it if anyone's interested. Advice from experienced breeder, Peter D'Arcy. Major breeding mistake, "Spent a lot of time getting the curve in the back as per the Standard, only to neglect the depth of body - I bred bananas!" I'm a bit obsessed with curve too, so I found this useful. Peter begins culling at about a month old. His first 3 criteria are " any faulty comb, particularly double serrations; weak chicks; twisted toes." At about 2 months he culls "any of the above I've missed" At about 3 months, he starts to get serious.
Cheers Geoff

Is it possible to "feather-sex" BA chicks? I'm picking my 4 BA chicks up next week, supposed to be sexed, but there's always that one chance. Just curious, newbie here and I fellin LUV with Black Australorps the first time I saw them! Any advice/help most appreciated!

You can guess based on the wing feathers (shorter, later development- cockerel, longer, feathered out earlier- pullet) but I'm loathe to believe it until more secondary characteristics are more obvious. I still have one black Orpington chick who appears to be undecided. It feathered early, but the comb is suspiciously large and is beginning to get some red. My Australorp cockerel is obviously a boy and just like his dad.

Back
Top Bottom