Australorps breed Thread

I'm not able to post pictures for some reason - I dont see the icon
BUT

I have three black australorps about 4 weeks in age that i bought sexed as pullets.
One of them has a shorter tail, althougth they're all feathered out the same. SmallTail has a substantial amount of white 'fur' around the face, where others have black... and SmallTail has white bands on his wings...
At first I was worried SmallTail was going to be a roo... but now I think SmallTail is just a mix because of these white stripes.

Have you heard of anything like this?
When you hit "reply" you'll see up in the toolbar of sorts a clickable icon that sort of looks like a pic of trees/sun (second to the left of the smiley face thingie) .. would love to see your pics!!

Hi BA sexers,
the early sexing of BA's is a bit of a perennial on this forum. We've discussed lots of theories and the 'wing' one is an interesting addition. I'm not too bad with other breeds I keep, but I've declared numbers of times that I'm not good with BA's. I'd venture to say that difficulty in early sexing might be a breed characteristic, Ron! Of course, you get variations between strains. When you're familiar with how your own strain develops, it becomes a bit easier. The problem is that there is variation within strains, so that not all individuals develop at the same rate or even at times in the same way. Good luck with any method you try. I have a friend who claims 80% accuracy on young chicks by waving a crystal over 'em! I expressed my scepticism(actually called her a 'hippy-tripper'), and she replied that when I could get 80% accuracy, then I could scoff. As that's never likely to happen, I shut up!
Cheers Geoff

Hi again,
a bit more culling advice from Peter D'Arcy. At around 3 months he culls birds with dark toenails, oval eyes, light eyes and dark soles of feet. Over the next period individuals are culled as the following become apparent - knock knees, wry tails, roach back, white tips on feathers. He then focusses on the positives. He looks for good breadth right through to the tail, wings carried horizontally, fine texture in face with no brows or ridges, round shins, dark beak and black, round eyes. He sprays their legs with WD40 ( the stuff used for loosening nuts and bolts!) for mites. Apparently, it also helps loosen those stubborn scales we find on older boys. He also keeps combs "fresh" with a cream or oil. Hope some find this of interest.
Cheers Geoff

I have seen a heap of early sexing methods tried, but only relied on the waiting method.

I had a pair of Blue Australorps that I desperately wanted to be pullets. A local breeder on here @CB and CG recommends reliable sexing by comb width. The height and colour indicators come in later, but the early sign (and he was 100% right very early with my two) is how wide the comb is, as in thickness.

He asked me for a straight on shot of my two birds and with high confidence called it. Later confirmed correct by the 'wait and see method'

The sample pics provided, I think they were 2-3 weeks old from memory.

Unfortunately though, I don't have the matching pullet image to compare to.

I'm not able to post pictures for some reason - I dont see the icon
BUT

I have three black australorps about 4 weeks in age that i bought sexed as pullets.
One of them has a shorter tail, althougth they're all feathered out the same. SmallTail has a substantial amount of white 'fur' around the face, where others have black... and SmallTail has white bands on his wings...
At first I was worried SmallTail was going to be a roo... but now I think SmallTail is just a mix because of these white stripes.

Have you heard of anything like this?

the icon is in the block with the smiley face ..it looks like a lanscape picture with a moon in the top left corner

Back
Top Bottom