Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

They look very good.

For learning purposes, what are you working on with them?

Well there are always many things that need working on. My focus has been on stabilising type. For the most part my birds have reasonable type however for every 2 nicely typed birds I get one bird with a flat back. Obviously not every bird can be perfect but making my line more consistent would be great. I'm also focusing on the colour of the blues. The first blue pictured is too light for my liking however she is great for breeding with a black roo. Their offspring have a darker ground colour which is more desirable. The second blue is a lot closer to my desired colour. She looks a little darker in the photo than in real life however she has beautiful dark crisp lacing contrasted nicely by a lighter ground colour. Not perfect but not bad either. The photos are not great but they give you some idea of my birds.

Whilst colour and type is the main issue there are always minor issues. Flyaway combs are a constant battle however at this stage I'm not too concerned. I also get the occasional black toenail however once again this is only a very minor issue and I have more or less fixed this problem now.

Hope that gives you an insight Ron

I am loving this new thread. I don't even have Australorps anymore but had really nice ones when I did. I want a thread like this for every APA breed I have......Thanks Ron

Ron,
Thanks for starting this thread, the other was killing me. We have to get a hold of Chet, Mean V2, and some others that left the other thread and did not post. I was in the hospital for 24 days and this makes my day. I will post pics soon of this years Rattlesnake Ridge BBS Australorps.
Kurt

Last edited:
Ron,
Thanks for starting this thread, the other was killing me. We have to get a hold of Chet, Mean V2, and some others that left the other thread and did not post. I was in the hospital for 24 days and this makes my day. I will post pics soon of this years Rattlesnake Ridge BBS Australorps.
Kurt

You are very welcome!

We do need to get the others back. I am looking forward so the pictures.

I hope you feel better!

Hey Kurt, WELCOME, and long time no see. Sorry you were in the hospital, and I hope things are going good for you now. I am VERY interested in seeing pics of the chicks you hatched earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom