Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
They even admit they cant tell the difference between the Australorps and Black Orpingtons, which tells you they are a hatchery.

Fair enough! And good to know. :)

The breeder we found got her birds from Jerry Wiley and has been breeding to SOP... we got her last three, which she said were her best (save the best for last, right?).

I'm hoping to get a few rounds of chicks from the two hens and rooster that we got. We pick them up Sept. 6 if all goes according to plan!

First set is our boy, second is one of his girls. I wouldn't mind some critique. Not in the greatest condition due to running with the mix flock at the moment. They also wouldn't pose for me to save my life. It was their first experience in the picture box.

Last edited:
@MnMPoultry , I'm new to all this, but as I am extremely interested in breeding to SOP, I have done some extensive reading and studying on the subject. I'll put my theoretical knowledge to the test and see how it goes. :p

I know the Australorp is a "bird of curves." The photos I have looked at for Reserve Champions at shows and Best of Breed all show one swooping curve from the comb to the tail. I feel like his back is a little "flat."

On hens, the tail should be held at no more than a 40 degree angle.

The comb should be well-pointed (I know you said he was running with the regular flock, so I don't know if the nubs are from that). In both sexes, the comb should be held erect.

Maybe it's the lighting, but the hen looks like she's got a little blue/purple on her. The only sheen visible should be green.

I hope that helps! I also hope it is accurate. Like I said, I am so very new to this and am learning everyday. I would to love to get some input from someone more experienced to see how I did. :)

All the above aside, those are some beautiful Australorps! I'm curious where you got them.

@MnMPoultry
, I'm new to all this, but as I am extremely interested in breeding to SOP, I have done some extensive reading and studying on the subject. I'll put my theoretical knowledge to the test and see how it goes. :p

I know the Australorp is a "bird of curves." The photos I have looked at for Reserve Champions at shows and Best of Breed all show one swooping curve from the comb to the tail. I feel like his back is a little "flat."

On hens, the tail should be held at no more than a 40 degree angle.

The comb should be well-pointed (I know you said he was running with the regular flock, so I don't know if the nubs are from that). In both sexes, the comb should be held erect.

Maybe it's the lighting, but the hen looks like she's got a little blue/purple on her. The only sheen visible should be green.

I hope that helps! I also hope it is accurate. Like I said, I am so very new to this and am learning everyday. I would to love to get some input from someone more experienced to see how I did. :)

All the above aside, those are some beautiful Australorps! I'm curious where you got them.

The nub comb is frostbite last winter. He also lost the tip of every toe. I don't know why him and no one else, but I did lose a leghorn and an rir roo this winter to comb frostbite. Let me see if I can catch the hen in a more natural state. They were very uptight and uncomfortable for their first trip to the photobox.

The lighting I think is bad or the camera. They don't have anything but beetle green sheen in person.

On that too, I think he needs more meat on his chest and he does have a longish flattish back.

These BA's are from Bob Gilbert and were paired together for his opinion on the chicks they will produce. They were almost an after thought on a trip to his farm to buy Buckeyes. We had talked about BA's but I didn't decided to get them until we were there and saw them.

There is a lot to learn about sheltering, and caring for chickens. Purchasing the best stock available doesn't do much good, if they don't thrive in their environment. Losing chickens to frostbite is sad indeed, while frostbitten toes, and combs are not SOP. You need to get that under control. Flock management is another thing to study up on too. You might want to check out the posts on here, and the regular BA thread for flock management, pictures of both SOP, and non SOP birds, and the critiques that accompany them. The American Poultry Assn. sells the Standard of Perfection book, which will tell you the standards that are required.

Back
Top Bottom