Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
There is a lot to learn about sheltering, and caring for chickens.  Purchasing the best stock available doesn't do much good, if they don't thrive in their environment.  Losing chickens to frostbite is sad indeed, while frostbitten toes, and combs are not SOP.  You need to get that under control.  Flock management is another thing to study up on too.  You might want to check out the posts on here, and the regular BA thread for flock management, pictures of both SOP, and non SOP birds, and the critiques that accompany them.  The American Poultry Assn. sells the Standard of Perfection book, which will tell you the standards that are required.

I don't want to take your post the wrong way, so thank you for your input, but saying someone needs to learn flock management when you know nothing aside from three birds got frostbitten on a frigid cold night is a bit out of place.

I've had my own flock for 6 years, but have been involved with care and maintenance of family flocks for 30. I think I'm good.

I'm looking for critiques on the pictures posted from people who don't look at them everyday. A fresh pair of eyes seeing something for the first time notices things that some one who looks at it everyday subconsciously ignores. Looking at other birds and critiques, which I have done for months on end, will not do anything for the way I see and don't see things on my bird.

Don't take this reply the wrong way, but maybe try not to jump in and talk to someone like they bought their first chicken yesterday?

There is a lot to learn about sheltering, and caring for chickens. Purchasing the best stock available doesn't do much good, if they don't thrive in their environment. Losing chickens to frostbite is sad indeed, while frostbitten toes, and combs are not SOP. You need to get that under control. Flock management is another thing to study up on too. You might want to check out the posts on here, and the regular BA thread for flock management, pictures of both SOP, and non SOP birds, and the critiques that accompany them. The American Poultry Assn. sells the Standard of Perfection book, which will tell you the standards that are required.

These are good points for everyone.
I don't want to take your post the wrong way, so thank you for your input, but saying someone needs to learn flock management when you know nothing aside from three birds got frostbitten on a frigid cold night is a bit out of place.

I've had my own flock for 6 years, but have been involved with care and maintenance of family flocks for 30. I think I'm good.

I'm looking for critiques on the pictures posted from people who don't look at them everyday. A fresh pair of eyes seeing something for the first time notices things that some one who looks at it everyday subconsciously ignores. Looking at other birds and critiques, which I have done for months on end, will not do anything for the way I see and don't see things on my bird.

Don't take this reply the wrong way, but maybe try not to jump in and talk to someone like they bought their first chicken yesterday?
Stuff happens with chickens so I get where you are coming from. I live in California so have no experience with frostbite in my flock. I have some breeds with big old combs(penedesencas) and they do not have a problem. I have read about some things that can help prevent it like ventilation and no water creating moisture in the coop at night. I even read something about teaching Cock birds to sleep with their head tucked under the wing like hens do. IDK though. You likely know all of this but others read these threads so we often keep that in mind when posting. I remember how much there was and is to learn about poultry so I like to kick the can down the road when I can.

I hope you get some good tips on your flock. I do not know if it is the camera or not but I do see some purple. That is a DQ but you can breed to faults if need be, meaning you can breed one that has too much purple to ones with not enough.

I like the way they look in general but it is really hard to pick for someone based on pictures. Do you know any poultry judges in your area? Walt Leonard will go out to see a flock and evaluate them. He lives in Sanoma California but travels to judge at APA shows. If you have a show close to you you might be able to get some input from a judge.

Best!

There is a discussion about some shows requiring NPIP on the breed thread.

Do the shows you take birds to require it?

My White Australorp Boy!

Here is one of my two mamas. We just got her on Sunday... she's huge and gorgeous. :) Hoping to get some good quality chicks from her! Her sister is laying and has a larger, redder comb.

Long shot of our big roo... We have two, and the other is the "spare" unless he continues to develop and surprises us. All four are about five to six months old.

I'd love any critiques or comments. :)

MrsB

Last edited:
This is our flock sire. His name is Big Papa, and he is a Black Australorp.

I've posted a few pictures to get opinions based regarding how closely aligned or misaligned he is with the SOP.

I feel like he's a pretty healthy specimen, but, as his mama, I'm biased. ;)

Thanks!

MrsB

(Click on the pictures to make them larger!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom