Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
I would do that--The cock birds were eaten by raccoons at the place I was keeping them. I am looking for someone that has some nice quality BAs.

Hupp Farms will not ship any more.

idunno.gif
I had a 75% hatch rate on them when he shipped them to me, which is very good. I was a very happy customer.

If you want to follow the hatch, I'm putting Big Papa and Big Mama eggs in the incubator for the New Year's 2015 Hatch-A-Long.

I would be happy to send you some eggs, if you like what you see! We talked about it before, but after hatching some baby quail, I'm feeling much more confident.

I'd still like to see what we get from these birds as far as fertility and viability... So if you can STAND the wait until we can qualify this hatch, I am happy to help you (or anyone out). :)

Here are some pictures. I don't have as many of Big Mama, but I'm breeding her to Big Papa for her comb and carriage (Little Mama's comb is more tightly serrated - may breed to see if I can even it out in her offspring). This mama has beautiful lines, I feel. They both have the slate blue/gray legs and well-defined points to their combs, sweeping backs, nice red wattles, and that gorgeous green sheen.

Big Papa:

Big Mama:

I may try Little Mister over Big Mama in the future. I feel like his breast is a little fuller.

Little Mister is so coy...

MrsB

Went to Ontario Poultry Breeders Show in Milton Ontario this past weekend.
Reserve Breed with a Pullet
Best of Breed and Reserve English with a Cockerel
The field was only 9 Australorps and 4 were my birds. We have to get more Australorps out to the shows.

The field was only 9 Australorps and 4 were my birds. We have to get more Australorps out to the shows.

100% agreed!

Congrats on your win! You have beautiful birds. <3

MrsB

Congratulations!

I hope they do get more in the shows too!

I gather from some of the posts I've read in the beginning if this thread, that US standards are different to our Australian SOP?

If this is so, is there a thread around that specifically covers breeding for Australian SOP and exhibition?

I gather from some of the posts I've read in the beginning if this thread, that US standards are different to our Australian SOP?

If this is so, is there a thread around that specifically covers breeding for Australian SOP and exhibition?

You are correct. :)

A cursory search of the site yielded little in terms of a whole thread dedicated to our Aussie cousins. <3

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to start one and tag some of the Aussie breeders that have posted in this thread.

Good luck!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom