Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
36 week old pullet has 1 tiny whitish gray spot on one wing tip, everything else is properly colored. The chicks get white in tips of their wing feathers, which they outgrow. What age does it become a flaw? I know the older hens have to be all black, but is this a DQ at her age?

The white should have molted out at the last juvenile hatch.

She is a cull so do not breed her. Keep her for an egg layer or sell her.

I have pictures of some of our Australorps posted on our Facebook page, Rose's Poultry if anyone wants to take a look. It is a new page, so not a lot there yet, but I am working on more stuff.

While at the Florida Poultry Show, I finally got a copy of the SOP. Pp. 106 Australorps - Disqualifications: More than one-half inch of positive white in any part of surface plumage, or two or more feathers tipped or edged with positive white. That is why mine was not disqualified. Now I know!

While at the Florida Poultry Show, I finally got a copy of the SOP. Pp. 106 Australorps - Disqualifications: More than one-half inch of positive white in any part of surface plumage, or two or more feathers tipped or edged with positive white. That is why mine was not disqualified. Now I know!

What is "positive white?" Is it the opposite of ..... "negative white?"

I'm kidding about that last bit. But seriously, though... Positive white? Is that a fancy name for "white feather?"

MrsB

BA's can sometimes have a reddish colored feather, or place on a feather (which is actually desirable for breeding), or a place on a feather that is not quite as dark black as the others, so positive white is a good term.

I agree, They don't mention other feather colours than white for a DQ and It doesn't have to be a whole feather either. I have some chicks come in with white in the primary tips and they loose those on the first moult. If they carry the white as an adult cull them. Although the green sheen and feather quality are considered in the overall type for points I think that it is the complete fowl shape and carriage that gets the biggest prize.

Back
Top Bottom