Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
I have been told that some red can create an amazing black in the next generation.

I have seen BSLs and RSLs crossed with Australorps for hyrbids that produce BEAUTIFUL birds with egg-laying power. I know it's totally off the standard, and I would never in life use my breed flock, but I have some hatchery BAs I've considered hybridizing for my own egg purposes. :)

MrsB

She is to loose feathered, especially in the skirt and some cushion in back. The tail appears to be pinched and the color needs improvement...no/poor lacing.

Matt

Some of the Orpington in the genetics left over? I have an Australorp/Orpington pullet with that feathering. Her lacing is good though. Just starting on my blue Australorp project.

Splash Australorp cockerel to the left (from Taylor Farms old line, found in east TN), my Australorp/Orpington pullet in the center. Both are 19 weeks.

I haven't been here in a while, but wanted to share some pictures of our birds since I actually took some decent ones today.

First off, one of the gorgeous new pullets I got from Matt1616 at the show this weekend:

Another pullet from last year's hatch:

One of the cockerels from last year that I've decided to keep for breeding:

I haven't been here in a while, but wanted to share some pictures of our birds since I actually took some decent ones today.

First off, one of the gorgeous new pullets I got from Matt1616 at the show this weekend:

Another pullet from last year's hatch:

One of the cockerels from last year that I've decided to keep for breeding:
Welcome back!

What are you working on this breading season?

Welcome back!

What are you working on this breading season?

I'm crossing my Tigercreek birds with Ulrich birds this year and hoping I won't have to do too much damage control. Mainly aiming for better size, shape and tails. And looking for consistency overall. Other than that, I have got to get some conditioning pens built so I can have a chance at being competitive in the show ring in the fall.

I'm crossing my Tigercreek birds with Ulrich birds this year and hoping I won't have to do too much damage control. Mainly aiming for better size, shape and tails. And looking for consistency overall. Other than that, I have got to get some conditioning pens built so I can have a chance at being competitive in the show ring in the fall.

Keep us posted on your progress. That should be a good cross.

Last edited:
Do you still raise "Standard" Australorp? If Yes, What are your birds good points?
I hatched out a line of Blue, Black Splash Australorps that is more Utility. If they look good, I will breed them to the Hupp Blue Australorps that I have to work on the feather issues.

So far they look pretty good. I will work on getting some pictures of them.

I have a cockerel that is good in every respect but one, slight small feathering on the leg, none on the feet. should I use him or wait until this springs hatch develops to see what I get?

Back
Top Bottom