Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Was wondering if the SOP BAs lay as well as their hatchery counterparts? Even close? Onset of POL comparable?

I began my chicken adventure with production sex links. Later I got some SOP BA's (did very good at the show too). I can't provide a comparison with hatchery BA's, as I've never owned any, but can provide a comparison with production hens. While I doubt any chickens lay like production hens, my BA's give them a run for their money. The onset of POL is longer. My production hens began laying at about 4 months of age. My SOP BA's took 2 to 2 and a half months longer to begin laying. I suspect it has a lot to do with them still attaining size first, since they are significantly larger, before they are ready to go into production. I live in Florida, and it's much warmer here, so my chickens begin their molt in mid November, and are mostly feathered back in by mid December. The production hens tend to lay somewhat sporadically, missing a day here, and there for about 2 - 3 weeks. The BA's tend to stop producing, or only give an egg or two during that time. By January the BA's are back into daily production. My production hens typically slow down production when they've been laying a little over 2 years, and tend to be pretty much spent just before they are 3 years old. From what I've experienced, my BA's stay in production longer, without health issues, which more than makes up for the delayed onset of POL, and the down time during molt over the lifespan of the hen. I also eat my culls. Once again, since they are slower to attain size, I wait longer before processing. I wait about 14 - 16 weeks before I process them. The meat is plentiful, firm, but still very tender. The first ones I processed, I didn't change feed, or "finish" them in any way. The meat is a tiny bit darker than that of the typical meat bird, but tastes just fine.

I began my chicken adventure with production sex links. Later I got some SOP BA's (did very good at the show too). I can't provide a comparison with hatchery BA's, as I've never owned any, but can provide a comparison with production hens. While I doubt any chickens lay like production hens, my BA's give them a run for their money. The onset of POL is longer. My production hens began laying at about 4 months of age. My SOP BA's took 2 to 2 and a half months longer to begin laying. I suspect it has a lot to do with them still attaining size first, since they are significantly larger, before they are ready to go into production. I live in Florida, and it's much warmer here, so my chickens begin their molt in mid November, and are mostly feathered back in by mid December. The production hens tend to lay somewhat sporadically, missing a day here, and there for about 2 - 3 weeks. The BA's tend to stop producing, or only give an egg or two during that time. By January the BA's are back into daily production. My production hens typically slow down production when they've been laying a little over 2 years, and tend to be pretty much spent just before they are 3 years old. From what I've experienced, my BA's stay in production longer, without health issues, which more than makes up for the delayed onset of POL, and the down time during molt over the lifespan of the hen. I also eat my culls. Once again, since they are slower to attain size, I wait longer before processing. I wait about 14 - 16 weeks before I process them. The meat is plentiful, firm, but still very tender. The first ones I processed, I didn't change feed, or "finish" them in any way. The meat is a tiny bit darker than that of the typical meat bird, but tastes just fine.
This is the same thing I see with mine. Both the hatchery and SOP types work like this but I have had more problems with the hatchery BAs. I had one SOP BA die from fungus. The Hatcher BAs, two of five died of liver rupture.

Out of all the hatchery stock I've owned down through the years, the BAs are so far above the rest in production, health, longevity of lay, etc that there really is no comparison. I've never had a BA that died prematurely of any health issues and have had them lay well clear up into 5-7 yrs of age. The breed of my heart are the WRs but the BAs are snugged in there beside them in their own little nook. I recommend the breed to all newbies as the most likely breed for them to get eggs and good health from, as well as living long enough to make a good "pet" chicken.

The BAs are truly the work horse of every flock I've had down through the years, no matter the source or the strain I've gotten them from. When all other chickens are taking a break for winter or molt, my BAs are always still laying...sometimes moving from every day laying into every other day laying..but still laying.

I asked those questions because I've often wondered if the SOP breeder quality BAs still retained that superior laying. Fred PMd me and gave me the 411 on them and it does my heart good to know they do indeed retain their most valuable trait, even when bred to the SOP. I'm so glad the focus on laying and laying longevity has been preserved in the breed, as that's one of their most remarkable traits.

I'm thinking about buying some breeder quality BA chicks in the spring/summer to keep alongside my WR project, just for my own use and satisfaction, but not for showing and what not. I need a utility line while I'm working on improving the laying in my WR line and one might as well raise good stock instead of hatchery quality, huh?

Bee, it's my understanding that when at least 2 of the most popular hatcheries began introducing BA's into their line up, they obtained their stock from SOP bloodlines, and when they had to outsource, they did so through SOP breeders. Even if the eggs came from parent stock that did not measure up for showing, with a little selective breeding, the line could easily be brought up. Overall though, the bloodlines, and stock were excellent.

Good info! Thanks! Are the SOP BAs a good bit more meaty than the hatchery stock?
In my opinion, there is not a definitive yes, or no answer to this question, if I'm understanding the question correctly. The idea weight for roosters is right at 8.5 lbs., for cockerels 7.5 lbs., for hens 6.5 lbs., and for pullets 5.5 lbs. Here's the Catch 22. Those birds that are attaining size/weight, shape, and are flourishing will be the ones to keep for breeding and/or showing. Along with other obvious reasons for culling, the birds that are not attaining size, and weight are the ones that should be processed. The undersized birds can sometimes be nearly as small, or as small as good sized hatchery stock. While the majority are not going to be undersized by too much, I personally don't think the little bit of additional meat should be the only significant factor in deciding between hatchery stock, and SOP stock.

^ There is a bird with a "squirrel tail." Not my bird, nor is it an Australorp... Just using for example. :)

The flat back refers to the "U" shaped back an Aussie should have. It should be one smooth curve from the base of the comb to the tip of the tail.... slightly less severe than the shape of a Langshan, but more curve than a Jersey Giant.

http://www.australorps.com/4.html <~~ These are the Australian standards. American standard is a *little* different, but the curvature of the neck, back and tail align with our cousins down under. :)

Hope that helps!

MrsB

I'm out of ovations, so I'll just have to say "thanks" here. This post is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I'm guessing my guy's tail is a bit too high, and the girls' too! It's one of my favorite things about them, though. It makes them look so proper. Maybe I'll have two BA flocks: standard flock and the flock with flair.
tongue.png

MrsB, Big Papa looks pretty perfect to me, as far as the standard goes. Nice work.

I heard it through the grapevine that there is a fella named Kurt here in WV who raises wonderful standard bred BAs....was wondering if he frequents this thread and if he would have either hatching eggs or chicks for sale this spring? Heck, I'd settle for an old semi-retired hen or three even.
pop.gif

I heard it through the grapevine that there is a fella named Kurt here in WV who raises wonderful standard bred BAs....was wondering if he frequents this thread and if he would have either hatching eggs or chicks for sale this spring? Heck, I'd settle for an old semi-retired hen or three even.
pop.gif
Yes, @RattlesnakeRidgeWV

I just purchased eggs from Kurt at Rattlesnake Ridge in WV. He advertises in the Forum - Buy/sell/trade - Blue/Black/Splash Australorp eggs. There are pics of his line on the ad. The eggs were shipped very well wrapped, none of them were broken or cracked and all of them were a good size.

Back
Top Bottom