Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Hello all. Please excuse my ignorance, but new to the chicken world. I absolutely adore my Black Australorps. I really would like to start a breeding program that preserves the standard of perfection and eventually begin to show. Question 1. Where do I find the standard of perfection for Black Australorps? Question 2. Are there any up coming shows near Kentucky that I may attend to just get a visual and learning experience? Question 3. Can someone please give me advice where to start and what should I begin with.

Hello all. Please excuse my ignorance, but new to the chicken world. I absolutely adore my Black Australorps. I really would like to start a breeding program that preserves the standard of perfection and eventually begin to show. Question 1. Where do I find the standard of perfection for Black Australorps? Question 2. Are there any up coming shows near Kentucky that I may attend to just get a visual and learning experience? Question 3. Can someone please give me advice where to start and what should I begin with.
Welcome!

welcome-byc.gif

The standard has not changed so you can get the free version.

Low cost here:

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/poultry-standard-of-perfection/

Start by breeding your current flock. Add better than feed store quality as you get comfortable with breeding.

today I was looking at an advertisement for "ISA Brown" at Townline hatchery, they mentioned egg shell strength as a trait. I would like to have stronger shells in my australorp flock/line.
Any ideas?

today I was looking at an advertisement for "ISA Brown" at Townline hatchery, they mentioned egg shell strength as a trait. I would like to have stronger shells in my australorp flock/line.
Any ideas?
Breed for shell strength within you flock. It is tough though to breed to SOP and also improve egg quality. Marans are battling this issue with dark egg color and SOP conformation.

It is great to hear from you!

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com

This site is just about the best source to find exhibitions and shows near you. Listings are by state, region, month, etc. Very handy resource.

I'd heartily recommend the Ohio National in November in Columbus. Also, the Dixie Classic, Knoxville, TN in December. I'll see you and would be glad to introduce you to some folks.

Back
Top Bottom