Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Just so you all know, I'm officially lurking here now.

Marshall
Perfect, I'm with you!
pop.gif

A couple of days ago, I started a new thread on this section, in which I posted two photos of my roo in order to have advices and comments on how I can improve the standard of my BA flock but I've not had many answers. Then I saw this thread and I realized that posting here would have been the most reasonable thing to do
lau.gif

This is my BA rooster ( white reflections on his neck are caused by the flash, he is completely black
smile.png
)
Does he have any standard defects (body shape, tail etc)?

Anyway I want to share a personal thought. I've discovered that there are few but important differences (like the size of the tail) depending on the standard of reference. In fact Australian standard is different from the North American and Italian ( and other European ) ones . Instead the latter two are similar.
Australian standard says ( from http://www.australorps.com/4.html ) : "Tail full and compact, rising gradually from the sickles gracefully curved but not long and streaming"

Australian Standard ( not long and streaming tail ):

Italian Standard according to FIAV - Federazione Italiana delle Associazioni Avicole - (same of the North American one):

According to an article that I found online, in Europe the tail evolution started with the Dutch breeders and then with the Germans. Dutch breeders wanted to 'beautify' the Australorp and they crossed them with Rhinelanders and Barnevelders, then Germans made other crosses with German Langshans and Barnevelders. Therefore the tail became more and more large and long.
Nowadays Australorp is still a popular breed in Germany and, as far as I know, many Italian breeders often buy eggs and good subjects and bring them here.
However what I meant is that I don't like the fact that a breed standard has so many variants.
The original standard should be the only one.
I wonder if the Australorps have retained their original utilitarian peculiarities in Australia?
hu.gif

Cicero,
Thank you very much for the pics of the different standards through out the world. This definitely teaches and shows the different standards.I agree that they should all look the same, but that will never happen. We just have to go by each countries standards. The main problem is when Australia shipped chooks they were their utility strain and not their show quality strain. We all tried to change or improve them into what our eyes saw or wanted.
PS your BA cock is a fine example of what your standard calls for.
highfive.gif

Kurt

Last edited:
A couple of days ago, I started a new thread on this section, in which I posted two photos of my roo in order to have advices and comments on how I can improve the standard of my BA flock but I've not had many answers. Then I saw this thread and I realized that posting here would have been the most reasonable thing to do
lau.gif

This is my BA rooster ( white reflections on his neck are caused by the flash, he is completely black
smile.png
)
Does he have any standard defects (body shape, tail etc)?

Anyway I want to share a personal thought. I've discovered that there are few but important differences (like the size of the tail) depending on the standard of reference. In fact Australian standard is different from the North American and Italian ( and other European ) ones . Instead the latter two are similar.
Australian standard says ( from http://www.australorps.com/4.html ) : "Tail full and compact, rising gradually from the sickles gracefully curved but not long and streaming"

Australian Standard ( not long and streaming tail ):

North American Standard (long sickle-like tail feathers):

Italian Standard according to FIAV - Federazione Italiana delle Associazioni Avicole - (same of the North American one):

According to an article that I found online, in Europe the tail evolution started with the Dutch breeders and then with the Germans. Dutch breeders wanted to 'beautify' the Australorp and they crossed them with Rhinelanders and Barnevelders, then Germans made other crosses with German Langshans and Barnevelders. Therefore the tail became more and more large and long.
Nowadays Australorp is still a popular breed in Germany and, as far as I know, many Italian breeders often buy eggs and good subjects and bring them here.
However what I meant is that I don't like the fact that a breed standard has so many variants.
The original standard should be the only one.
I wonder if the Australorps have retained their original utilitarian peculiarities in Australia?
hu.gif
Great pictures!

I think he looks close to your standard picture There might be an angle to the back to work on. It looks like a v and to a curve in the picture

Can you enter him into a poultry show? You will get feedback from that. Also, see if you can get a poultry judge to give you things to work on

Best!

Back
Top Bottom