Australorps Breeding for SOP and Exhibition Thread

Pics
Cicero,
Thank you very much for the pics of the different standards through out the world. This definitely teaches and shows the different standards.I agree that they should all look the same, but that will never happen. We just have to go by each countries standards. The main problem is when Australia shipped chooks they were their utility strain and not their show quality strain. We all tried to change or improve them into what our eyes saw or wanted.
PS your BA cock is a fine example of what your standard calls for.
highfive.gif

Kurt
Hi Kurt,
Thank you, I am trying to learn more about this breed in order to improve my little flock
big_smile.png

Also I suppose that they will never look the same but I think it would be very useful if there was an universal standard for all of us breeders
smile.png

I wondered if there was a connection between the American and European "beautification" of the Australorp as a show quality breed and its subsequent partial loss of the original features as a prolific egg layer (the famous record of 364 eggs in 365 days). But, as you said, also the Australian utility strain of a time probably is no longer exactly the same to the show strain of today.
Thanks for the compliments on my roo
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Great pictures!

I think he looks close to your standard picture There might be an angle to the back to work on. It looks like a v and to a curve in the picture

Can you enter him into a poultry show? You will get feedback from that. Also, see if you can get a poultry judge to give you things to work on

Best!
Thanks for your suggestions!
thumbsup.gif
With regard to his angle to the back, I have to say that he is a little undisciplined and I could not photograph him perfectly sideways
sad.png

His back seems to have a more rounded shape that in the picture but it's definitely a feature to improve!
And moreover I was told that he has too many points on his comb (they should be 5)
However I do not show my animals (not yet
smile.png
). For the moment, it's just a hobby for me
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions!
thumbsup.gif
With regard to his angle to the back, I have to say that he is a little undisciplined and I could not photograph him perfectly sideways
sad.png

His back seems to have a more rounded shape that in the picture but it's definitely a feature to improve!
And moreover I was told that he has too many points on his comb (they should be 5)
However I do not show my animals (not yet
smile.png
). For the moment, it's just a hobby for me
wink.png
Show him, and don't worry much about the comb. Combs only count 5 points. Overall body shape, back curvature, and tails should be the main focus.

Show him, and don't worry much about the comb. Combs only count 5 points. Overall body shape, back curvature, and tails should be the main focus.
I really like your profile's photo and, you know, your name reminded me of a Disney movie of my childhood with Lindsay Lohan named 'Get a clue'
old.gif
It was also quite popular here
caf.gif

However I agree with you, the comb isn't a big deal regarding poultry exhibitions.

This is some of the view of my new coop from my screened in patio:

We planted grass over the bare places where we had dirt hauled in. Yes, it's growing in nicely.

There are 5- 8x8 coops, 2- 4x8 coops, adjoining 3- 8x16 runs. The runs can be further subdivided, if needed, otherwise I prefer to rotate the flocks using them every other day, as needed, giving them more run area.

Each coop has it's own electrical outlet. I will get the splitters, so each coop will have it's own hose. The posts are for my electric fence, which is forthcoming.

Each coop has it's own fan.

It seemed like it took forever, but I really did get my chickens home, and they seem content in their new home. Now, I can focus on hatching chicks!

This is some of the view of my new coop from my screened in patio:

We planted grass over the bare places where we had dirt hauled in. Yes, it's growing in nicely.

There are 5- 8x8 coops, 2- 4x8 coops, adjoining 3- 8x16 runs. The runs can be further subdivided, if needed, otherwise I prefer to rotate the flocks using them every other day, as needed, giving them more run area.

Each coop has it's own electrical outlet. I will get the splitters, so each coop will have it's own hose. The posts are for my electric fence, which is forthcoming.

Each coop has it's own fan.

It seemed like it took forever, but I really did get my chickens home, and they seem content in their new home. Now, I can focus on hatching chicks!
You have a very nice setup!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom