Australorps-Earliest Age of Laying?

I have Australorp/ISA Brown hybrids and they were all late bloomers. Their wattles and combs turned big and red about a month before laying. The first one to lay waited until around 27 weeks, the other waited another 4 weeks after that.

I have 2 Australorps; one started laying at about 24 weeks, the other is 34 weeks old yesterday and not even close to laying. She has a small pale comb, small pale wattles, no squatting, no egg song, nothing. She will be in the stew pot soon and replaced in the spring.

I also have two Barred Rocks, same age, same circumstances, but....at least "non-laying" Barred Rock is beginning to get a larger, redder comb and wattles, so she SHOULD be laying soon.

They lay when they are ready and not one second before. Sigh...............

The parent breed to Australorps, Orpingtons, start laying at around 34 weeks or so. Depending how much Orp blood they've got in there they could start laying later.

I have 4 Australorps pullets, I was told they was 5 months when I got them (told should lay in about month), almost 2 months later, 2 of them have large red wattles but no squatting, egg song, or eggs. The other 2 are still maturing. I keep thinking soon.
fl.gif
But I like their personalities, they are not lap chickens, but (for a chicken) they are calm, quite, and come when I call. I just keep waiting.......waiting.......waiting for the eggs.
roll.png

generally for most breeds 6 months old is the start date. give or take couple of weeks. this time of yr unless you have artificial lighting, it may take longer. an average layer like austrolorps will not generally be anything spectacular when they start laying or their laying careers. a beautiful breed though........................

I have four, two started at 26 weeks and one started at 28 weeks. The last one is just starting to get her comb and waffles in and they are still pale red. Don't think I'll be getting anything from her for a couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom