Australorps on egg strike, Ameraucanas still laying. ??

fzouk

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
middle Tennessee
Hi! My birds are all around 6 months old and have been laying great for what seems like forever (even though it's only been maybe 2 months) but all the sudden the Australorps just quit laying! No eggs from them for a week or more but the Ameraucanas are continuing to drop them like crazy. I have 7 active laying pullets and was getting 4-5, sometimes 6 eggs a day and now just the 3 from the Ameraucanas. Any guesses? Nothing has changed, my chickens in the past never did this at this age. The weather has changed in this week but it's far more pleasant, not less. I tried searching the site but didn't stumble onto anything that seemed to relate to my situation. Thank you!

Oh yeah- I looked all over the coop, no hidden eggs anywhere and also no sign of any predators. Everything seems totally normal, just no eggs from the Australorps.

Last edited:
maybe they're gettign ready to molt before the weather goes foul???
idunno.gif

I have two laying hens: a BR and an andalusian (who isn't even supposed to be a great layer buy they were wrong lol) and they both went on strike over two weeks ago. Then last Thursday (day 13 of strike) the andalusian started laying again. Within 2 days the BR was laying again too. The andalusian has only had one day since where she hasn't laid and the BR is still going on no break. They had both laid daily for two months or so before the break. Your hens are probably taking a couple weeks' hiatus. They should be back to production within a little bit. Probably moulting (even if it's not obvious-my BR moulted on her "undercarriage lol) and they will slow down during that.

Oh OK, that's helpful to hear! I'll look and see if I can see any signs of molting. I hope my Australorps will start up again soon, I'm just thankful the Ameraucanas are still going strong for now- I'd sure hate to have to get store eggs!!

I have an EE pullet that stopped for a few weeks back in July. She had just started laying in June and then she stopped!
hu.gif
Even my Sex-Linked pullets have had a few days with no egg. I think it must be their bodies getting into the swing of making eggs. Not to mention the heat. I am happy to report that everyone is back in buisness and from my four pullets we are getting 2-4 eggs a day...usually 3!

Back
Top Bottom