Australorps vs. Orpingtons

siroiszoo

Songster
14 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Waller, TX
Is it just me or does anyone else find the Orpingtons much quieter & gentler than the Australorps?

From the research I did, both are supposed to be quiet & friendly for a dual purpose bird. So I ordered 13 of each. So far, my Orpingtons seem to be much more docile & quiet. My Australorp roos are rough on the hens and crow constantly (at night - starting at about 3AM). Just wondering if this is typical; if the Australorps will settle down after they mature (they are 6 months old); or if I should plan on adding more Orps in the future.

I have never had an australorp roo, and probably never will because they can be sexed at one day old.
I do not know if this is true of the orps.

I have both roo and hen (one each) of the orps and they are just great birds, heathy, hardy and resistant.

I really do love the Australorps thought. They are quiet, very beautiful and they LOVE to free range.

I don't have an Australorp roo but my hens are very quiet and docile, about the same as my BO's but the BO's frequently go broody, whereas I've not had an australorp go broody yet.

I love australorps and my roosters were very gentle...and loud, but I loved them anyway
lol.png

My australorp hens are all peaceful, quiet girls. However, the "accidental" australorp roo we got from the pullet bin turned out very grumpy. He is no longer with us but his son by one of our white rocks is now gang leader and protector of our flock - he is very protective of the girls and so far ( he's only 5 months old) has never shown aggression toward us the way his daddy did. Australorps aren't a big as orpingtons and eat less -so that is also a plus. I do love my aussie hens though!!

Leave it to me to pick the mutant -grumpy " accidental " roo from the pullet bin. I'm glad to know there are nice ones out there...maybe there's hope for my mutt whose daddy was the afore mentioned mutant!
smile.png

I don't have a BA roo but tI have BA, they were hens were extremely shy until I put them with my BO roo and hens. Now I would have to say they are about the same as the Buffs, friendly and docile, definately not rough.

I don't have either BA or BO roos, but I have one hen of each. My BO is the friendliest of all of them. Quiet and sweet. SHe is actually my youngest daughter's girl and we raised her from day old. My BA, I got as a year old. I got her because when I went up to the pen, she came right up to us, clucking sweetly. SHe is the most docile of the older girls.

Back
Top Bottom