Auto watering question/design help

J_Yonts

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2018
We are setting up a space for broiler chickens and want to do a more automated watering system. We get 65 at a time, so water is often an issue. We tried buckets with cups last year and would often run out of water during the day. I know I can use a rain barrel and then run a line and put cups off the line. This is what we are looking to do. However, I need more guidance on this-like a lot more.

I saw this picture in an ad. I dont know what are the little white pieces coming from the main line and do I need them? I didn't need them using buckets last year.

If anyone has don't this set up and is willing to share specifics I would greatly appreciate it.

Picture for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240328_092431.jpg
    Screenshot_20240328_092431.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 41
I saw this picture in an ad. I dont know what are the little white pieces coming from the main line and do I need them? I didn't need them using buckets last year.
They are 'T' fittings, because you can't drill holes into that small of a pipe.
Were the cups in the sides or bottom of the buckets?

I have a set up using those.
I do not have those t fitings coming down i drilled right into the pipe.

I have a 6 inch by 7 ft pip that holds the water then couplings taking it from a 6 inch to one inch pipe. That goes into my coop at one spot and underneath the coop.
I will be changing this out so its not under my coop anymore.
I can get picture

I have a set up using those.
I do not have those t fitings coming down i drilled right into the pipe.

I have a 6 inch by 7 ft pip that holds the water then couplings taking it from a 6 inch to one inch pipe. That goes into my coop at one spot and underneath the coop.
I will be changing this out so its not under my coop anymore.
I can get picture
Please. I'd like to see the whole setup

I’m reasearching to do the same thing and came here to find out about freezing. I’m in Chicago and I see you’re in WI. Anything that you can tell me?

Here are the pictures of my system.
I am gonna find a way to use it during the winter, but its dirty as i havent cleaned it yet.

The biggest pipe is a 6 inch then i have couplings that go to a 4 inch. The 4 inch goes into a 1 inch. Black paint sprayed out when i was painting something else.
20240407_095604.jpg

20240407_095601.jpg

I have a screw on capsthat i unscrew to add water into the 6 inch pipe.

I plan on changing this to not be under the coop and instead out from under the coop, with covers to keep the dirt out.
20240407_095557.jpg

Inside of the coop.
20240407_095641(0).jpg

Drain valve to drain water when needed
20240407_095650.jpg

Let me know if you would like more pictures it has been raining.

Back
Top Bottom