Automated Coop Design

Thanks for posting this. This is an example of unintended consequences that could be catastrophic for your flock. I just read yesterday that a dog in Ontario Canada was killed by avian flu. Apparently this is highly transmissible to companion animals like dogs and cats. Useful to know.

Could you elaborate on how you care for the barrel and PVC water system?

We're currently building our coop and are trying to make it as efficient, automated and easily clean-able as possible. I'm having a hard time with the water system.

I purchased a rain barrel and am not sure whether to:
1. Pull rain water vs hose water because of the contaminants problems - also freezing of pvc in winter and possible leakage of nipples is a concern
2. Connect it directly to a horizonal PVC system with horizontal nipples vs me filling a 5 gallon bucket with horizonal nipples

Any additional info you could offer is much appreciated.
I would strongly encourage you to just plan to fill by hose. If you elevate the tank and get close to the full 55 gallon capacity it will probably only need to be refilled every 4-6 months. My flock of 10 goes about 2-4 months depending on the season. This will cut down on contamination, sediment and ensure that your nipples don't get clogged. Also helps with biosecurity for your flock to prevent disease exposure.

I have pretty temperate climate where I live and only have a few nights of hard freeze (teens) each year. My coldest average winter month lows are two months of 34F. I have had the pipe freeze one time largely because I let the tank go too low and ice on the surface in the tank froze extending into the pvc pipe. If there's a cold snap coming up I am sure to fill the tank before hand so the additional thermal mass prevents a freeze. The PVC pipe into the tank is 2 1/2 in and only projects about 4.5 ft out of the tank horizontally so it shares mass with the tank pretty well. Horizontal nipples have seals inside the pipe so resist freeze and aren't damaged by freeze compared to vertical nipples which can burst if frozen.

There are somewhat expensive but available submersible heat tape options, you could fish one through the tank and down the pvc pipe. This would make it impervious to freeze.

You would be filling a 5 gal bucket often which is a very different option.

Cool design. The dimensions seem very small for 10 birds though, especially given that part of the 4 x 6 footprint is taken up by the floor door and nesting boxes. I’m guessing that amounts to something like 2 square feet of floor space per chicken and 7 inches of roost.
When they roost they all sit adjacent and leave empty space at one end of the roost. They could spread out if they wanted but look pretty cozy.

Both the upper floor and lower floor of the coop are available to them at all times so that's 21sqft up top and 24 sqft below. The automated door only closes off access to the outdoor run. They're only in there at night and then have a maybe 15x20 ft run they spend the time in during the day.

I was thinking about some sort of poop board ramp just like that! Thank you for posting. I like the feeder idea too. Do you have a link to the design page for it? Does the supplemental lighting help regulate egg production?
Credit to this video for the feeder design. I can't tell you how much better it is than any feeder based on round pvc. Easier to anchor, fill and larger capacity for ultimately the same space requirements. Also absolutely 100% no mess/waste because they actually eat inside the feeder.

Our supplemental lighting is fixed at 15 hours through the year currently. We have lots of friends in the area whose chickens "lay off" (is that where the phrase comes from?) for a few months with our very low light winters at our latitude. Ours have only minimal drop in production as long as we keep feed, water and mitigate the coldest nights by additional sealing of the coop. Last year we had a big drop in production early in the winter as a cold snap triggered a molt in half our flock.

Ours have only minimal drop in production
When do they molt?
How many years have you had this system?

very low light winters at our latitude.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1681331461447.png

When do they molt?
How many years have you had this system?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3465082
Located in the Willamette Valley. Very cloudy and overcast, 45° latitude.

I haven't really noticed a regular molt schedule (aside from one synchronized molt event). We get 4-5 birds each year and only lay them for 2 two years before slaughter as they're dual purpose birds for us. I think because they're so young with other young birds, temperate climate and supplemental lighting they don't have strong molt triggers.

We are currently raising our fourth "class" in this system so... 4-5 yrs now.

I haven't really noticed a regular molt schedule (aside from one synchronized molt event). We get 4-5 birds each year and only lay them for 2 two years before slaughter as they're dual purpose birds for us. I think because they're so young with other young birds, temperate climate and supplemental lighting they don't have strong molt triggers.
Ah.
Yes, the lights keep them from molting at about 18mo and you slaughter before the next fall.
Sounds like a factory scenario.

Back
Top Bottom