Automatic doors for Dummies

karenhenkel

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Northwestern Connecticut
I am a newbie. Please give me feedback on automatic doors. Our hen house is in the shade, and doesn't have power, so I would love a battery operated option. I need one that attaches to the outside of the house or one that opens sideways, as inside lacks the 33 inch vertical clearance due to roost/nesting box placement. Hubby is pretty handy, but lacks motivation if things get too complicated.
Thanks-Karen

We have eight 5 week old hens(?). 2 RIR (Scarlett O'Hara and Belle Watling), 2BPR, (Remember Allerton and Patience Brewster) 2 Welsummers (Indira Ghandi and Angela Merkel), 2 GLW (Elizabeth Tudor and Lettice Knollys). I want more NOW!!!!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You might want to check out this thread on automatic doors....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/428190/best-automatic-chicken-door-openers

I have never used them so I am of no help what so ever! :)

Good luck with this project and welcome to our flock!

Just got the pen finished enough to use it. We haven't totally finished, but it is safe for day use. So far, I am just closing the door by hand. We are learning as we go, so I think we will continue this way for a bit. I need some feedback on what to use on the grond of the run. I have heard dirt is best, but how does one clean it? Thanks.

I'm not technically inclined. My idea of an auto door opener is making someone else open and close it.

Runs are generally over grass until the chickens devastate it, sand makes a good base, kinder to chicken feet than stones/gravel. It also helps keep the smell and flies down.

Back
Top Bottom