Average Hatch Rate Thread

Well not a very successful hatch...

32 eggs
5 hatched
Hatch rate: 15.6%

Could be contributed to the incubator being old. Poor egg fertility. And humidity issues.

So glad I found this thread. It is helping out with our chicken math
tongue.png

Okay so I think the running totals got lost somewhere back too many pages lol. However, this is my first post and also my first incubation try. We have 4 kids and i am in school for nursing, hubby works away from farm. We bought an incubator and gave it a whirl just to see. Some days we got so busy eggs only got turned 1nce or 2ce that day...Mostly we tried to stick to 3 times. We Candled at 7 days then forgot again until 15 days lol. Eggs on their sides, maintained a 51% humidity until day 15 when I decided the air cells weren't big enough so I propped the incubator open a little and brought humidity down to about 35% for the last 3 days. Candling on day 18 showed some good air cells except one was taking up an entire half of the eggs and odd shaped....left it in anyways. Humidity went up to 71-74% for lockdown and chicks started hatching day 19. I am only now on day 24 and so far here is the info. (I opened the incubator periodically during lock down to realign my hygrometer that the hatched chicks kept moving, remove dry chicks, and remove old shells. I know your not supposed to but I did :p

47 eggs
38 chicks so far
hatch rate of 81%

so if someone knows the running total, that may help the incubator side.

PS the odd air cell hatched a perfectly healthy easter egger chick.

I think i found the last running total so heres the new numbers

Broody Hens
#eggs: 259 + 0 = 259
#chicks: 138 + 0 = 138
Broody Hatch Rate =53%

Incubator Hatchers
#eggs: 1053 + 47 = 1100
#chicks:558 + 39 = 597
Incubator Hatch Rate = 54%

Shipped Eggs
#eggs: 32 + 0 = 32
#chicks: 6 + 0 = 6
Shipped Hatch Rate = 18.7%

Unshipped Eggs
#eggs: 313 + 47 = 360
#chicks: 168 + 39 = 207
Unshipped Hatch Rate = 57.5%

Overall Hatch Rate
#eggs: 1359
#chicks: 735
Average Hatch Rate = 54%

Last edited:
I candle at one week(brown shell) and eliminate all infertile eggs since they don't count. I also don't want to keep infertile eggs at optimum bacteria growth temperatures for 3 weeks. I bought a Little Giant incubator for $35 from Tractor Supply and figured I'd save a little money from hatching my own as well as have some fun. The thing works well enough, but I modified the incubator before even starting eggs in it. First thing was to add in a small 120v fan on a light dimmer switch.

First hatch was 20 out of 24, so 83%. After that first hatch, it seemed obvious more incubator modification was needed. There were still relative hot and cold spots, the water troughs didn't dry evenly, and the holes in the bottom leaked water if I spilled any water accidentally when filling the troughs. I added a baffle to the fan, siliconed the holes in the bottom shut, blocked some of the top holes that seemed responsible for drafts and humidity swings, added aluminum tape behind the heater elements and around some of the windows for better heat reflection, and marked the temperature control dial.

Next hatch was 44 out of 48, so 92%. Not bad for a highly modified incubator. The water troughs evaporated evenly this time, and the humidity and temperature were as even and good as can be expected in such a small volume incubator. No more modifications since I can't find any faults with the incubator.

Next hatch was 13 out of 14, or 93%. Hope this helps show what can be done to improve hatch rates. I only turned the eggs twice a day, but I turn 180 degrees each time. I mark the eggs on opposite sides with two different marks and just turn them morning and evening. Other than that, I've never had an egg pip that didn't fully hatch. So far, none of the chicks have died or had issues. I think this home hatching delivers a superior chick compared to what we can mail order.

Chicken Hatchers
#eggs = 14
#chicks = 2
Average Hatch Rate = 14%

Incubator Hatchers
#eggs = 33
#chicks = 17
Average Hatch Rate = 52%

Ha ha, the fat red hen sat on her eggs while I did mine in the bator and I won!!!!!! Mine are cuter too....

14+15+24=53 eggs
14+14+21=49 chicks
Hatch rate = 92.5%

All from broody hens.

The last hatch happened today, on Oct 30th, in upstate NY... It was 20F two nights ago!!! I think these girls did amazing this season :). And definitely better than any incubator I've tried!

Just finished my first hatch today. Truthfully thought it would be much more easier/successful. My lesson is on humidity! I have a wounderful silkie now happy with all her newborns. The only reason she lost one eggs is that we had few realy bad frost nights at the same time the eggs were due, so I put a light over her to keep them warm. Somehow she got hot on that last egg and started panting and got off her nest. I saw the chick through a big hole, breathing, trying to get out but I left it under the light as I promised not to intervene on broody. It dried... :(
Chicken Hatchers
#eggs = 7 (6 mine +1 shipped that lived)
#chicks = 6
Average Hatch Rate = 85%

Incubator Hatchers
#eggs = 17 (16 shipped + 1 mine that couldn't pip)
#chicks = 4
Average Hatch Rate = 23%
:( I now know that I lost last incubated 3 to humidity problems, I heard them yesterday but they couldn't chip those hard shells - I should have helped them break it. I almost lost the other 2: they were stuck (again too dry), but I assisted them after 24 hours and they are running with their mom now.

Total#eggs = 24
Total#chicks = 10
Total hatch rate= 42%

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom