Average Hatch Rate Thread

Oven Ready

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Thailand
I've been wondering whether my chickens hatch rate is better or worse than incubator hatch rates, bearing in mind chickens have to manage all sorts of weathers and incubators have to not go wrong and eggs are sent through the post and whatnot.

So I thought I'd start an average hatch rate thread, so perhaps other BYCers with what they think is a low rate might be surprised to find it's an average rate after all.

There are two sets of numbers, one for chicken hatchers and one for incubator hatchers.

All you need to do is add the number of eggs incubated to the existing #eggs and the number of chicks hatched to the existing #chicks, then do some arithmetic to work out the current percentage. e.g. if you have incubated 10 eggs and 7 hatched and the current #eggs is 150 and the current #chicks is 125 your math would be....

150 + 10 = 160 eggs
125 + 7 = 132 chicks
Average hatch rate = (132/160)*100 = 82.5%

Then copy this section below, filling in the numbers you have calculated so the next poster doesn't have to look back through posts to get the total #eggs & #chicks. (As I don't have a hatch due until Thursday the numbers are currently zero.)

Chicken Hatchers
#eggs = 0
#chicks = 0
Average Hatch Rate =

Incubator Hatchers

#eggs = 0
#chicks = 0
Average Hatch Rate =

No... Please, add in your numbers, I'm not looking for the best possible hatch rates, I'm looking for the real hatch rates - It's not possible for you to 'throw off the numbers' - the numbers are averages so bad hatches are balanced out by super hatches.

I'm sure someone will chime in with, 3 out of 50 is better than I managed (if not I'll make up a new login and say that just to make you feel good
big_smile.png
)

Ok, here goes:

Chicken Hatchers
#eggs = 28 + 16 = 44
#chicks = 21 + 1 = 22
Average Hatch Rate = 50%

Incubator Hatchers
#eggs = 38 + 32 = 70
#chicks = 20 + 2 = 22
Average Hatch Rate = 31%

Overall Hatch Rate
#eggs: 114
#chicks: 44
AHR = 38.5%

And if that doesn't seem bad enough, only ONE of those 3 is alive today. The others didn't make it but a few days. And my sole survivor is a rooster- who came out the wrong color.

I hope someone with some good news comes along.

I'm adding all my history (2 years)...

Broody Hens
#eggs: 196 + 63 = 259
#chicks: 104 + 34 = 138
Broody Hatch Rate =53%

Incubator Hatchers
#eggs: 823 + 230 = 1053
#chicks:423 + 135 = 558
Incubator Hatch Rate = 53%

Shipped Eggs
#eggs: 12 + 20 = 32
#chicks: 5 + 1 = 6
Shipped Hatch Rate = 18.7%

Unshipped Eggs
#eggs: 103 + 210 = 313
#chicks: 34 + 134 = 168
Unshipped Hatch Rate = 53.6%

Overall Hatch Rate
#eggs: 1312
#chicks: 696
Average Hatch Rate = 53%

I candle at one week(brown shell) and eliminate all infertile eggs since they don't count. I also don't want to keep infertile eggs at optimum bacteria growth temperatures for 3 weeks. I bought a Little Giant incubator for $35 from Tractor Supply and figured I'd save a little money from hatching my own as well as have some fun. The thing works well enough, but I modified the incubator before even starting eggs in it. First thing was to add in a small 120v fan on a light dimmer switch.

First hatch was 20 out of 24, so 83%. After that first hatch, it seemed obvious more incubator modification was needed. There were still relative hot and cold spots, the water troughs didn't dry evenly, and the holes in the bottom leaked water if I spilled any water accidentally when filling the troughs. I added a baffle to the fan, siliconed the holes in the bottom shut, blocked some of the top holes that seemed responsible for drafts and humidity swings, added aluminum tape behind the heater elements and around some of the windows for better heat reflection, and marked the temperature control dial.

Next hatch was 44 out of 48, so 92%. Not bad for a highly modified incubator. The water troughs evaporated evenly this time, and the humidity and temperature were as even and good as can be expected in such a small volume incubator. No more modifications since I can't find any faults with the incubator.

Next hatch was 13 out of 14, or 93%. Hope this helps show what can be done to improve hatch rates. I only turned the eggs twice a day, but I turn 180 degrees each time. I mark the eggs on opposite sides with two different marks and just turn them morning and evening. Other than that, I've never had an egg pip that didn't fully hatch. So far, none of the chicks have died or had issues. I think this home hatching delivers a superior chick compared to what we can mail order.

Hi all, I’m a newby to hatching.

I have kept hens before, but am starting out in a new area where I was unable to find any hens, so decided to go the incubating route. Bought myself a J24, had 22 eggs from two different breeders shipped to me, let them rest 24-48hrs so they could go in together.

That was just over three weeks ago.

One arrived brocken, the rest were set. I candled them several times removing one that was not fertile, and another that suffered early death. So 19 eggs went into lockdown end of day 18.

Thursday morning, day 21, the first chick hatched, followed closely by the second. 5am this morning (Saturday) my 16th chick hatched.

That’s 16 from 19 viable embryos. = 84%

I hope i am doing this right, This is based on the last month:

Chicken Hatchers (dutch, Silkie, Wyandotte, Light sussex, XBreed)
#eggs = 28
#chicks = 21
Average Hatch Rate = 75%

Incubator Hatchers ( had a few develop but not hatch, humidity problems)
#eggs = 38
#chicks = 20
Average Hatch Rate = 53%

eggs:28+38=66
Chicks:21+20=41
AHR=62%

Last bit of math gives the overall hatch rate of both Incubator and Chicken - I didn't even think of that.

Chicken Hatchers
#eggs = 28
#chicks = 21
Average Hatch Rate = 75%

Incubator Hatchers
#eggs = 38
#chicks = 20
Average Hatch Rate = 53%

Overall Hatch Rate
#eggs:66
#chicks:41
AHR = 62%

Last edited:
I don't want to post my terrible numbers and throw it all off. I have had aweful luck with hens who are stupid, and a POS incubator, so I could only add a 3 out of 50 or so. BUT as there were other factors contributing to that miserable hatch rate, I will just settle for observing.
Great idea, by the way. I am very interested to see how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom