Avi-vital vitamins as a preventative

Schmay

Chirping
Dec 9, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
hey guys
I bought Avi-vital vitamin booster for my flock with the intention of giving it to them occasionally as a vitamin booster in their diet. My girls eat a 15% protein seed mix, plus free range and food scraps. Usually plenty of leafy greens when I have them. I have no reason to believe any of them are lacking in specific vitamins so just wanted to double check if it would be safe to give them a small amount of this say once a month as a booster. And if anyone else already does this how much would you use. I also don't have the body weight of my chickens as 3 of them come over from the neighbours and 2 still won't let me pick them up.

P. S. It's also really hot here at the moment which is what got me thinking a vitamin booster might be useful for the girls. (over 40 degrees Celsius)

Any advice would be useful. And thanks in advance.

I would be more concerned with their protein intake than vitamins in all honesty. 16% protein is the bare minimum they should be recieving and with it being a seed mix, they are quite possibly picking out their favorite bits and getting even less protein than the mix is labeled at.

As far as vitamins go, as long as they are water soluble (as opposed to fat soluble) it shouldn't cause any problems. Electrolytes wouldn't hurt either if the heat is a major concern for you.

I would be more concerned with their protein intake than vitamins in all honesty. 16% protein is the bare minimum they should be recieving and with it being a seed mix, they are quite possibly picking out their favorite bits and getting even less protein than the mix is labeled at.

As far as vitamins go, as long as they are water soluble (as opposed to fat soluble) it shouldn't cause any problems. Electrolytes wouldn't hurt either if the heat is a major concern for you.
Hey thanks for that, they also get other sources of protein in the food scraps and free range, and I sneak in some protein pellets softened with their yoghurt so I think their protein is fine. I did notice they weren't eating the protein from the higher protein percentage mix I was giving them so now I sneak it into their scraps.

Hey thanks for that, they also get other sources of protein in the food scraps and free range, and I sneak in some protein pellets softened with their yoghurt so I think their protein is fine. I did notice they weren't eating the protein from the higher protein percentage mix I was giving them so now I sneak it into their scraps.

A lot of times the carb heavy parts of their feed are more tasty, so when it's not a uniform mix, they will pick out the tasty carbs and leave the less tasty proteinbits behind, so sneaking it in wherever you can is probably the best. Especially if it's in a more desirable protein form for your bird. Mine are not picky at all, they'll eat anything I put in their feeder (or that they can fit in their mouth), but some are much pickier.

A lot of times the carb heavy parts of their feed are more tasty, so when it's not a uniform mix, they will pick out the tasty carbs and leave the less tasty proteinbits behind, so sneaking it in wherever you can is probably the best. Especially if it's in a more desirable protein form for your bird. Mine are not picky at all, they'll eat anything I put in their feeder (or that they can fit in their mouth), but some are much pickier.
I think I may be at fault a bit myself, I spoil them a little bit so that's why they've become a bit picky, though since noticing that I do refuse to waste perfectly good food so that's why I started sneaking it into their scraps cause I noticed they will devour the scraps. I've also stopped refilling their seed mix til they've at least eaten some of the protein parts. If they're hungry enough they will eat it!

Back
Top Bottom