Avian Flu.

Georgia just put a ban on all sales at flea markets, auctions, swaps, etc. because of the TN and AL outbreaks. Depending on who you talk to at the Ag Dept, they'll tell you it does not apply to individuals or it does apply, so conflicting information. Someone was told hatching eggs are in the ban, but that is ludicrous. AI is not passed through eggs to the chick.

I swear, sometimes, I think these outbreaks are just chances to stop backyard flocks altogether. They are saying you MUST be NPIP certified to sell anything and every bird tested and leg banded during this outbreak. Well, no stinking way I would ever be NPIP. It never means your flock is healthy, never. NPIP breeders are responsible for quite a few outbreaks themselves. Seems a way to get folks into that government program so they know who you are and what you have. Not this gal. If my birds are ill, I'll put them down. No government lackey is coming here to gas my flocks. But, thankfully, they haven't had anything contagious, nothing. Commercial flocks are more likely to come down ill than well-managed backyard flocks because of the crowded conditions.

Makes me wonder if back yard flocks are the answer.......if we didn't have highly concentrated barns full of chickens that never see the light of day or grass under their feet, perhaps, just perhaps, where it begins and spreads, eventually to all of us..... would be eliminated.

Makes me wonder if back yard flocks are the answer.......if we didn't have highly concentrated barns full of chickens that never see the light of day or grass under their feet, perhaps, just perhaps, where it begins and spreads, eventually to all of us..... would be eliminated.

I can tell you one thing. If they eliminate backyard flocks, they will also kill off heritage and/or dual purpose breeds. Commercial flocks are full of production Leghorns and hybrid layers for the most part, plus the CornishX for meat, of course. Breeders and backyard flocks keep those old dual purpose breeds alive. Eventually, I'm afraid they'll dictate that you cannot own chickens unless you are part of the government NPIP program, under the guise of "keeping us safe". That will make us outlaws or just make many folks quit keeping poultry altogether. That will be a sad day. It means they have more control over your family's food supply, not that it's "safer".

They can't protect your flocks. The "we only want to know where all the chickens are so we can protect you" is bunk. Really think about that. How would they even do that? Put a dome over your property? Kill all the wild birds? Crazy stupid idea, the government/USDA protecting your flock. It's obvious why they want to know where your flock is.

Last edited:
Yeah I posted about it a week or so back..... when it just occurred a day or two earlier and not many seemed to take note.
Funny....now its a big topic....not back when it actually occurred. Perhaps I just posted in the wrong area.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1157567/2017-first-case-of-avain-flu-h7-found-in-tn

Still, a week or two delay can mean a lot as people are hatching and selling right now, thus the reason I was on top of it.

I can tell you one thing. If they eliminate backyard flocks, they will also kill off heritage and/or dual purpose breeds. Commercial flocks are full of production Leghorns and hybrid layers for the most part, plus the CornishX for meat, of course. Breeders and backyard flocks keep those old dual purpose breeds alive. Eventually, I'm afraid they'll dictate that you cannot own chickens unless you are part of the government NPIP program, under the guise of "keeping us safe". That will make us outlaws or just make many folks quit keeping poultry altogether. That will be a sad day. It means they have more control over your family's food supply, not that it's "safer".

They can't protect your flocks. The "we only want to know where all the chickens are so we can protect you" is bunk. Really think about that.  How would they even do that? Put a dome over your property? Kill all the wild birds? Crazy stupid idea, the government/USDA protecting your flock. It's obvious why they want to know where your flock is.
There is already a "voluntary" registration that is "encouraged" of back yard flocks. Not my bag of tea. I'm keeping my birds.

There is already a "voluntary" registration that is "encouraged" of back yard flocks. Not my bag of tea. I'm keeping my birds.
Yes, I know. It is supposedly mandatory in North Carolina to register your flock, which is why I don't knowingly sell to NC anymore, though I live right on the line. If it was the law here, I'd be an outlaw. I feel it is my right to choose what type of food to put in my mouth, including eggs. I know the health of my flocks, what they've been fed and what they have not. I trust my own table eggs. The only way you can be 100% sure is to have your own laying hens.

Voluntary registration is really nuts, IMO. I'm not sure why ANYONE would voluntarily go blindly through the gate unless they just believe that somehow, some mysterious way, it will keep their flock safe. It won't. Some folks like to show their birds, so they are required to be NPIP or have a vet's certificate of health. It is supposedly required to be NPIP to mail birds/eggs across state lines, however, I would guess that most folks are not and do it anyway, as witnessed by the classifieds on here and on the Facebook poultry group threads. I used to mail hatching eggs years ago, but I don't do that now. I'm dangerously close to not ever selling my eggs again, keeping them all "in-house", chicks and eggs alike. It would be a shame because I have some very nice stock that is not readily available and would love to be able to provide folks with the same. But, if I can't, I can't. We'll be doing under-the-table black market hatching and/or eating eggs.

Back to the Avian Influenza, I am leery of any information on it. My flock is healthy. My flock is not in contact with the commercial operations around me. So, why kill my flock just because some big monoculture-type operation had a disease whoosh through it? It makes ZERO sense.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. When the feds destroy cattle,the farmers are reimbursed. The poultry industry is left to absorb their losses. No fed help. And even if there was,we wouldn't get any. I spent 3000$ on feed for my chickens and turkeys last year according to tractor supply :) no telling how much I spent on electricity and water.

According to the egg heads :) the dinosaurs were exposed to influenza. Its been around in one form (strain) or another practically forever. I'm not willing to let ANYONE kill my birds in a knee jerk response. Before anyone advocates killing flocks,stop and ask yourself HOW THEY CAUGHT IT. It doesn't just spontaneously appear. You can bet your bottom dollar it was spread by someone who climbed off a plane or boat after visiting Asia. It happens every day. With our population and climate its impossible to wipe out a bug once its here.

Back
Top Bottom