Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
Did he say anything about AI in the area, or any other news he's heard about it?
Nothing in our area. Yes they are monitoring closely - my NPIP inspection was almost a month early. and when I was called about it, they asked if I wanted to continue NPIP first.

Reading between the lines***, I suspect a number of people are dropping their voluntary cert to avoid testing. Though feed costs may be a factor, and less chick demand may be a factor as well. The larger backyard Craigslist breeders in my area are maintaining theirs (we are close to a couple state borders), but most of the others either aren't putting up Craigslist adds (yet?), or have dropped their Cert.

***entirely rank speculation on my part.

yes, I'm NPIP cert AND Fowl Pox positive at the same time, and with full awareness of the inspector. Further evidence that NPIP makes a very specific recommendation about the "cleanliness" of your flock from a disease perspective which is much less inclusive than many imagine.
If it's like the swine accreditation they don't call it "disease free". but rather "specific pathogen free" (SPF). Disease-free may be an impossible notion because every animal has something.

If it's like the swine accreditation they don't call it "disease free". but rather "specific pathogen free" (SPF). Disease-free may be an impossible notion because every animal has something.
as I keep explainingon other threads, it means two things:

A) I can provide a form so that eggs and chicks can be taken from my flock across State lines legally; and

B) My flock was found to be free of AI, MG, and PT **on the most recent test date, which may have been as much as six or twelve months ago**

Hoping no one finds out. :oops:
yeah well here

1647037827278.png

Just read this (it said it was a free article).

https://www.providencejournal.com/s...likely-ri-already-heres-plan-deal/7000142001/

If a quarantine is set up in a state, that means you can’t order chicks or eggs from another state? What will happen to everyone’s chick and egg orders? Thank goodness I have 12 ordered from a guy an hour away. But I will be super disappointed if everything else is canceled. I know they don’t want it spreading, but punish chicken keepers? Migrating birds are spreading it. There’s no way to stop that…

Just read this (it said it was a free article).

https://www.providencejournal.com/s...likely-ri-already-heres-plan-deal/7000142001/

If a quarantine is set up in a state, that means you can’t order chicks or eggs from another state? What will happen to everyone’s chick and egg orders? Thank goodness I have 12 ordered from a guy an hour away. But I will be super disappointed if everything else is canceled. I know they don’t want it spreading, but punish chicken keepers? Migrating birds are spreading it. There’s no way to stop that…

In California when they had the quarantine the hatcheries could not send birds or eggs. Orders were cancelled

I'm 14 minutes from where the hawk in Wake County NC was found on March 4. It's not been on the news or anywhere except the aphis list. Contacted NPIP today and they didn't even know about it! Not sure how they expect to keep flocks safe when they don't even have a communication pathway for notifying the backyard authorities. Sigh. Our birds are under roofs and behind tarps.
I have a dedicated pair of shoes for each area, kept right inside the door of the run. I step out of my farm boots and in to the coop Crocs for each area. If you use a foot bath, keep a brush by it. You have to remove all the dirt, since the virus could be picked up in a clump. If the clumps falls off in there and the bleach didn't get to the middle, that's a problem. Then you need to step directly into the clean area.
Any idea how long we should exercise precautions for? I am not finding much useful information from official sources. Are we just to keep holding biosecurity measure until we see how the situations develop?

Poor birds gonna have some serious cabin fever, but I guess that beats the flu.

Back
Top Bottom