Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Was just looking at aphis. There is a commercial hatchery listed in Roosevelt County, New Mexico showing 61,500 birds.

Privett Hatchery is in Portales, NM. This is in Roosevelt County. Anyone know of any other hatcheries there?

Was just looking at aphis. There is a commercial hatchery listed in Roosevelt County, New Mexico showing 61,500 birds.

Privett Hatchery is in Portales, NM. This is in Roosevelt County. Anyone know of any other hatcheries there?
If you were to ask the census, you would find that Roosevelt County in NM is #1 in the state for production of chickens/chicks - and that its data is withheld to prevent disclosure of individual operations.

At least back in 2017, Privett was it. Based on a quick scan of google maps, that appears to still be the case. **but I can't find any news articles confirming.

If you were to ask the census, you would find that Roosevelt County in NM is #1 in the state for production of chickens/chicks - and that its data is withheld to prevent disclosure of individual operations.

At least back in 2017, Privett was it. Based on a quick scan of google maps, that appears to still be the case. **but I can't find any news articles confirming.
I couldn't find any news articles confirming either.
I did the same as you and googled.

I did find that Roosevelt County is next to Curry County where they recently had several dairy outbreaks.

"APHIS did not offer information concerning in which counties those bovine cases were confirmed, but a World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH) report stated that five such instances were confirmed in Curry County."

Also article just mentions "hatchery".
https://www.wattagnet.com/poultry-m...an-flu-hits-commercial-hatchery-in-new-mexico

I couldn't find any news articles confirming either.
I did the same as you and googled.

I did find that Roosevelt County is next to Curry County where they recently had several dairy outbreaks.

"APHIS did not offer information concerning in which counties those bovine cases were confirmed, but a World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH) report stated that five such instances were confirmed in Curry County."

Also article just mentions "hatchery".
https://www.wattagnet.com/poultry-m...an-flu-hits-commercial-hatchery-in-new-mexico

I can't get the chickens to pull up on the website

Could be my Internet or they disabled
https://www.privetthatchery.com/categories/category-group/1

The web site is working, but its a shell. This loss, depending on their insurance, could be the end of their business. Hoping for the best.

[Assuming they are the hatchery identified by APHIS as testing positive, of course]

I've not seen anywhere a comparison of the various hatcheries for BYCers like ourselves by annual volume, not sure how this will affect the market, though I assume Western states will be more affected than Eastern.

Last edited:
Oh this is sad for them. They may issue a statement at some point. I would think there are chick orders that will not be fulfilled.

I asked the shipping/receiving lady of a local TS recently which hatchery they got chicks from. She told me Hoover's and Privett. So this could possible affect places like TS or other feed stores that use them (assuming it is Privett).

Back
Top Bottom