Aviary birds

Sneakyturtle

Songster
Dec 29, 2021
Louisville, KY
F886601F-BFC8-47B0-B7F3-D96EA0CA69C1.jpeg

I’m currently building a 40x40 aviary for my 4 ornamental ducks, a ring teal pair and a mandarin pair. I was wondering if anyone has kept pheasants with their wild ducks. I’d like to possibly add a golden pheasant pair or if anyone has any suggestions on a breed of pheasant that would do okay living with ducks and who the ducks would be okay living with. Any suggestions on what I could put in with my ducks?

I personally wouldn't put any other kind of poultry with exotic ducks except ducks that need a similar environment like them. ( Wood ducks, Teal ducks, and Mandarins, and maybe even Mallards are good to keep together. ) They can become very skittish, bullied, and stressed when with other birds. ( stress can lead to death with exotic ducks. ) Exotic ducks love to keep with their own species, or ones really similar. That being said, keeping only exotic ducks with only other exotic ducks that require a very similar habitat is your best choice.

I wouldn’t put pheasants with ducks in an enclosed area. Pheasant's become eager cannibals much quicker than other species. I don’t think they would have a problem eating a duck or so if they were stressed or upset enough.

On another note do you mind if I save your picture to show my husband? Your aviary is exactly what I have been trying to describe for him to build.

That's looking great! You can keep pheasants in there no problem. I wouldn't go crazy because if you have too many pheasants they'll fight, but I know a lot of people, including myself, that have pheasants in their aviaries. The only thing that doesn't get along great is some wild geese, like Canada geese. They're pretty big and can turn on a duck and have it dead in seconds. I would also not put any domestic ducks, geese, or chickens in there. But pretty much anything else would be fine, like quail, Chukars, pigeons, some wild type geese, pheasants, peafowl, etc.
Make sure any pheasants are not wing clipped or pinioned though because they could fall in your pond and drown.

Back
Top Bottom